Question about sins

What is the big deal about being a sinner, if all you need to do and say is you accept Jesus, and you are forgiven? As I've read numerous times, the unbeliever will go to hell NOT for their sins, but for their not believing and accepting Jesus into their heart.
If this is so, then why are there sins, and why are you held accountable to them if you are already forgiven of them?
If Jesus died for all of your sins, why is there so much emphasis on sins (and calling yourself a sinner) when his death forgave all of your sins?
Or am I not understanding it correctly.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because after receiving Christ you repent, change your life and stop doing those bad things you did before you accepted Christ.  If you continue in your sins then it's taking Jesus sacrifice and love for granted and you truly aren't saved.  Faith is dead without works and works is dead without faith.  We all sin even after we accept Christ, but as Christians we do our best not to make the same mistakes over and over again. IMO if you continue to live your life in sin after accepting Christ then you are mocking God, he knows your heart if your prayer was sincere or not.

Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 7:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yes, but as I said, I've heard numerous times, it's NOT the sins of the unbeliever, but not accepting Jesus that causes you to go to hell. AND if Jesus died for your siins, and you are forgiven of those sins, why would you still be held accountable to them if they are already forgiven?
    Sin seems to be irrelevant if they have been forgiven because of Jesus' sacrifice for you. Or was his death in vain?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Ok you are forever sinning!! There is no way to not sin. Before Jesus came you had to kill a cow for this sin and kill a goat for that sin! Jesus gave us the right to sin and be forgiven. To think that you ask forgivness once and don't do anything wrong the rest of the time is not quite right. Do you realize that just thinking about someone in a sexual way even thinking that you would really like to have that shirt is a sin! How can you ever not thought anything? It seems to me that no matter whoever you are you are going to think the wrong thing. But the good thing is you have Jesus that is standing behind you that when you do mess up and can opps!! and say sorry. The biggest thing though is that you have to really believe in him. God saw that there was no way that we could ever get out from under sin so he gave us the gift of Jesus to be able to ask and be forgiven.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh i did not see the your second post. Ok the reason you are held accountable for them is if you are not willing to let go and say I did wrong. Think of the way you are with your kids. If they do wrong you forgive them. Now the difference is that God forgets after every time. God just wants you to believe. If you can not believe then you can not ask for forgiveness and you can not be forgiven. The reason that Jesus died is so that you have the chance to realize that you have sinned and can be forgiven for that sin. His death is only in vain if you don't believe and ask for forgiveness each time that you sin. His death was so that we could do our sinful things and ask to be forgiven. Think about the way that you that you do your kids. They break your favorite thing then you go on and live life. If you constantly walk around saying you are the worst person in the world they feel bad. But if not then they feel better about themse
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If Jesus died for all of your sins, why is there so much emphasis on sins (and calling yourself a sinner) when his death forgave all of your sins?
    -
    So few realize the seriousness of sin. Each sin requires blood as payment. Only Christ's blood is worthy enough to cover sin and renew our connection with God. If we accept Christ we receive credit for His blood. If we don't, we will pay the price ourselves. If we continue to sin willfully, we count Christ's blood as nothing and by doing so we forfeit the gift of His righteousness(Hebrews 10:26-29). Each time we sin willfully we crucify Christ afresh. (Hebrews 6:6)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Before Jesus came you had to kill a cow for this sin and kill a goat for that sin! Jesus gave us the right to sin and be forgiven
    -------------
    The blood of those cows,lambs, and goats saved no one. They foreshadowed the true Saving Blood--Christ! The same blood that saves us today is the same blood that saved the Jews of the OT. The Israelites' faith in the One who was to come is what saved them! (Habakkuk 2:4 compare Galatians 3:11) The same Gospel of the NT is the one of the OT( Jesus' perfect sacrifice on Calvary). God Himself preached the same Gospel to Abraham. (Galatians 3:8) The Gospel has always been about the centrality of Christ- from Genesis to Revelations.(Genesis 3:15,Revelations 13:8)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Merely accepting Jesus isn't enough as some claim, that acceptance requires change and action and it is an ongoing never ending process. We can believe and still be condemned, not only for what we do but also for what we don't do.
    Matthew 25:41-46
    Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
    Anonymous

• Ok Christ said on the cross " Forgive them father for they no not what they do" The people who crucified him did not beleive in god. I also remember reading references many times to how people who don't know can not be faulted, rather the ones who do and turn away from him. Honestly I believe he will judge us by our hearts. I believe you can follow Jesus w/o believing in Jesus. Do you have good morals? Do you treat others the way you want to be treating? exc. Following his teachings is following him belief or not. It's called having morals. I also have a very hard time believing that just excepting Christ makes you infallible. I mean seriously who would want to go to heaven with rapist , and paedophiles, and serial killers. Ones who got in just by asking forgiveness. Especially when the non believers only crime is not believing. Also if he knows you wont believe why let you be born? That would be setting you up for failure
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Please note that "sin" is a religious concept. Before religions, actions were right or wrong depending on how they affected the tribal group. Punishment was meted out and no imaginary deities were called in to mediate or decide on them. Humanity already had their own set of morals. Sin is a meaningless word. It is a creation of religion in order to maintain control over the people and so had to be spelled out for those people. What is a sin? It is a pretend transgression invented by the gods and which only the gods could "forgive". How convenient for the blood-thirsty Judeo-Christian god. Horrifying that the gruesome deaths of all of those animals, throughout those thousands of years, could not slake his blood-lust. What a true monster he is.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• So, I look at it like this, Sin (imperfection/missing the Mark) and Willful sin are 2 different things. So we all grow old, get sick and die, sin causes this because we are no longer Perfect, like any disease we need a cure, Jesus is the cure for the sinful nature or imperfection we inherited from Adam. if you don't take the medicine you can't get well.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010