Is there a program that helps you get furniture, and various things for an apartment?

Single mom, and needing some help getting stuff. Any programs out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree: freecycle, thrift stores, yard sales, craigslist (they have a free catagory). Even things that look beatup can be spruced up with some paint.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• charities and rent a center.
    No not everything is free.
    Even most cahrities want to know how much you make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• http://www.freecycle.org/ just go there and put in the name of your town.. Almost every place has a free cycle.. When you join up you usually have to offer 1 thing before you can ask for stuff.. But you can offer anything, a book, and old movie, old clothes, whatever..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 7:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I know Bob's does have a store called the pitt, where they put discontinued items and such.There are places in other furniture stores as well like that.Clearance rooms & such you can call ahead to find out, like SEARS has a scratch & dent store in CT, thats where I live & we just bought a beatiful fridge for way cheep, they have thousands,NOT lyeing! & Pilgrams (in Ct) has a BIG room with all sorts of different furniture for Half price & less.There are state agencies to help as well, redcroos, salvation army they are wonderful, salvation army helped me through a hard time, they where GREAT! ~LUCK~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We NEED another program.

Why don't you start at the bottom like other people have had to do over the years.

who will pay for the program?

Gee.................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Since you have Internet access, I'd try freecycle, though it may take time. Another option is the free section of Craig's list. The third tried and true art student method is to do some curbside gleaning on trash day. I wouldn't grab anything that couldn't be cleaned with bleach water, and definately no upolstery. but it's a start. I still have some great things from my art student days. I've heard of people furnishing their places with coworkers cast offs. Who do you know? May be your family has something? Check with local churches, a few may have a furniture exchange or know of resources near you. Sometimes reusing something for a different purpose works too. (You know, the famous brick and board bookshelves or a crate as a coffee table.) When you're back on your feet you can return the favor.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Don't do Rent-A-Centers. The prices are originally marked at about twice of what they are really worth. And then if you don't pay it off in the allotted time (usually 90) days then they charge you double on it. Ouch. Poor people might use them, but they aren't a service to the poor.

Try Good Will, Yard Sales, and Free cycle. Like the previous posters have said. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well, if you are looking for free stuff I would go out the night before trash pickup and see what people are throwing away. You can often find things thatt just need a little TLC. Other than that--freecycle and asking friends if they have anything extra to let you borrow.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2010