What age do YOU think is TOO old to have a bottle, to breastfeed, or have a paci?

At what point would you say "ok, these parents are crazy..."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• bottle- 1 year, breastfeeding- 2 years, paci- 6 months~~~~ Just my personal preference
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I personally think that 2 years old is too old to have a bottle, 5 years old is too old to breastfeed, and pacifiers should be gone after 12 months.

That is my opinion, nobody has to agree with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Anon :03 Not trying to bash, just wondering wouldn't it be weird for a kindergartener to be sucking the breast still? pumping is a different story though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• 2 yrs across the board.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You know, when I was younger before I had kids of my own I babysat, worked in daycare, and was a nanny. I always used to say that you have to get rid of that paci as early as possible and I'll never let my kids have it past 9 months. Well here I am a few years later with a 20 month old son who still takes one. I won't let him have it unless he is in bed laying down or in his car seat actively trying to go to sleep.

So: Paci 1 year, bottle 1 year, breast feeding by two years. However, as I stated above, this means nothing. Sometimes we just have to do whatever works!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What age do I stop: 1 year-18 months bottle, 1-2 years breast, paci never mattered to me as long as they didn't suck their thumbs. At what point do I think other parents are crazy: 3 year bottle, 5 years breast, and again the paci is not a big deal especially if they are only doing it at home. If a 1-2 year old is interacting with other kids with the darn thing in his mouth how great are his speech skills going to be? So , my point being that my expectations of normal and my definition of crazy has a pretty broad spectrum.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with the ANON 8:37.....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Two. Anything past that is just being lazy. They don't want to deal with the bottle/breast withdrawals; the crying and the whining and the sleepless nights.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't know much about pacifiers or bottle feeding, but for me( and only me) I think 2 years is my cap for BF. My DD could drink breast milk from a sippy cup at 6 months. She never took to a bottle, which was an incredible hardship for me because I couldn't leave her until 6 months. My DD sucks her thumb and her pediatrician said most thumb suckers naturally stop around 4-5 which is when it begins to start problems. He said before than its no big deal and just a way to self soothe.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Bottle: we wean when they start getting teeth. Breast: when the kid is ready to wean (DD will be "allowed" to nurse for as long as she wants). Paci: in public, 18m/o. For naps and bedtime, 2 1/2 yrs. And just an FYI for the mom that said pump: some women just don't respond to the pump. It's a completely different suck motion. DD is BF (10m/o) and I pump 3xs a day in the 8 hours we're apart, and only get about 3oz for her while she's in day care. She gets formula to supplement because I just can't pump enough. Kids immune systems aren't developed until they are about 6y/o and the world wide average age to wean is between 3 and 4 1/2 years (depending on what study you site). I personally don't know if I could go that long, but I would never judge another mom for doing it.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 8:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2010