Homosexuality the escape goat???

http://www.newser.com/story/85894/vatican-blame-homosexuality-not-celibacy-for-abuse.html

thoughts???

Asked by older at 8:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I want to preface this by saying that I am Catholic, and I love my Catholic faith.

I think the Church has done a horrible job of dealing with this problem. They've been pointing blame around (it's the media persecuting us, it's homosexuals, whatever) and haven't done enough to protect our children. They have made some steps towards protection, but clearly not enough and not all over.

This week the Archbishops of CT (where I live) sent out a letter asking Catholics to call their congressmen and OPPOSE a bill that will allow for retroactive civil law suits against sexual abusers of children. My jaw almost hit the ground when I read this letter. How can the Church be asking this of us? Their handling of this crisis within the Church has been appalling.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would tend to agree with him, but I would be more inclined to say pedophilia. The access to young boys is a drawing point of the Priesthood for these types. Most pediphilias try to live as norma appearing of a life as possible. I don't hold the Church teachings liable. The problem is that it is made up of Humans and as we all know humans are far from perfect. Pediphilias are attracted to anything that can give them opportunity and cover. Examples--boy scouts, sport coaches etc..

And it is a scapegoat, not an escape goat. I have an escape goat in my yard. Wonderful pet but can escape from just about anything.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Pediphilias pedophiles I meant. Not awake yet.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• That's asinine. I'm sure they thought it was a good strategy, blame one sin on another, but , for me at least, they would first have to prove that the priests were homosexual for it to be believable.  I just don't see that many gay men jumping at the chance to be priests so they can have their way with altar boys.  Why not (for a gay man) just be gay in public?  That way you can have sex with consenting adults.  That's a lot easier and legal.  I'm not entirely convinced it's due to celibacy either.  Why not find another priest or a nun to bang?  Or someone outside the church and keep it secret?  There are more options than kids.  I don't buy either theory.  There is pedophilia in all churches.  The Catholic church is one of the largest, and has a celibacy policy.  That means more cases than, say the Pentecostal church which is smaller, and an easy explanation.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• WTH is an escape goat?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• And it is a scapegoat, not an escape goat. I have an escape goat in my yard. Wonderful pet but can escape from just about anything.
    -------------------
    LMBO
    Did you name him Houdini?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No they are Moe, Curly and Larry. Curly is the escape goat.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with Carpy's answer. I also think it's worth pointing out that unfortunately this scenario happens everyday in EVERY aspect of life. Schools/Colleges, children's sports teams, boy scouts...everywhere that there are people. It's just under a magnifying glass more in the Catholic Church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• WTH is an escape goat? Goat

The original meaning of scapegoat was escape goat, the goat that was allowed to "escape" with its life. The accepted modern meaning of scapegoat, someone who is punished for the wrongs of others, is not at all accurate for Satan. He is as guilty as guilty can be, and he deserves everything that's coming to him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• In all fairness, if you don't read the article you don't read the following:

Vatican secretary of state Tarcisio Bertone told reporters in Chile—where, AP notes, the highest-profile church scandals have involved priests abusing young girls—that many psychiatrists have found a link between homosexuality and pedophilia, but not one between celibacy and pedophilia.

To make it clear, I don't see a connection between pedophiles and homosexuals.  I think Pedophiles have a preference, much like normal healthy adults, yet their unhealthy component is that they like children.  I am not a psychiatrist so I cannot attest to the links between the two, nor would I.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2010