Have Americans lost their moral compus?

I often wonder if this isn't our biggest trouble today.We have lowered our standards in many aspects,we accept leaders of low character even promoting them at times.We lay down and take their bullshit while saying "We have to respect their position." We draw up excuses for poor behavoir,seemingly at every turn,while shouting "How dare you judge!" We have state's who allow our minor daughter's to have abortions even without our knowledge or consent..yet the law tells us we are responsible for our minor children and we will be held to that responsibility.We allow the public school system to do too much of what is supposed to be our job as the parent.We dress our toddler children in shorts or skirts almost climbing up their backsides and say "but it is so cute!" and of course "Don't you dare judge!"
Low standards and the anything goes attitude.Those are just a few examples.Some of you could think of many more I am sure of it

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I think so, although I don't think it can be put down to a moral compass only...the idea of moraltiy differs from person to person. It also has to do with the old "if you think you can't beat em, join em" attitude. Society, as a whole, has become way to permissive.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Blahhhhh....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No, my moral compass is still the same as it has always been, nothing going on has changed anything. The public school system has had to take over what some parents neglect to do.

Answer by older at 8:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Older I am speaking in general.I didn't want to get into too much finger pointing.The school has had to take over what some parents neglect to do you say...well there you go

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I choose NOT to vote, so I don't boohoo about the idiots, criminals, etc that end up in there. We are good people, help others, take care of our own. Our children go to public school, but I'm there for our boys 24/7, and school doesn't raise them. Many of the families I know from school are awesome people, parents.. I don't really care how others dress their kids, nothing I can do about it. Would challenge you or anyone to come up to me and tell me I'm doing anything wrong because of the way we choose to live, raise our children etc.... I think people should get off their high horse and realize that our world is made up of many different people and cultures, what works for you doesn't work for others... What you believe in doesn't mean everyone else should... I also believe it's not our place to judge anyone...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yes we have. It started in the fifties and blossomed in the sixties, and has been going downhill every since. Also it was a huge contributor to the fall of the Roman Empire.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I struggle everyday with my so called "high standards" in an increasingly "low standards" world. But, I forge ahead raising my children in a way that fosters integrity and honesty. The older my children get, the more of their peers I meet and wonder why the parents have lost the ability to do their job. I've had to tell my kids, it's my job to raise them~and they are responsible for their own behavior, and even though "it takes a village to raise a child", I'm not responsible for trying to change the behavior of a child who clearly resents it. (daughter's last boyfriend was a prime example of lazy parenting~poor kid's been ignored and now does whatever the heck he wants and the parents defend him )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• This is not meant to offend nor am I am saying ALL Americans.If we cannot even step outside for a bit and examine the bigger picture nothing will change.Of course I am just on my 'high horse' though how dare I even ponder this at all.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Thank you carpy and anonymous for your responses.Also older eventhough you may not realize that you did contribute to the subject at hand.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No. Just because people choose to think for their self and live the way they want to does not mean they lost their moral COMPASS. Its a free country and just because others don't follow your silly book of beliefs and "Christian" values ( eye roll) does not mean we are any less of a person morally. The arrogant attitude that the USA is the best in the world is why we have been shot down a couple notches. The arrogance and disrespect the Bush administration showed the world was truly disgusting and won't be able to be fixed in a few short years!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 8:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010