Thoughts on job outlook for art teachers? I'm thinking of doing the fast track to certification...

for people like myself who have an undergraduate degree, who can get certified in their field to teach that subject. But, I don't want to get it and then not be able to find a job teaching art...I'm 47 now, so I'm maybe not going to be someone's first pick...? And, I've seen school's eliminating art teacher positions. Either I do this or retail management, which I've been doing for a while now. (owned our own business and now work part time for a large retail company, and substitute teach a bit, too...looking at a possible ass't management position) My children are in HS and Middle school, and DH works 'till 9PM and Saturdays. So conflicted!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would look into pt art teaching, like going to the different schools certain days and teaching. That's what some elementary schools here did to cut costs but not the art program entirely; the district did the same with the music program. My mom was an art teacher; it's not one of the best fields to go into when the economy is down because programs like that are usually the first ones to go. She had a hard time finding a job, and it wasn't the greatest.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't know, I can say in some states funding for "extras" are so limited that many school districts have to cut music and art. It depends where you live, I'd do some research online to see if there are Art Teaching positions open in various states and what the pay is.

You may want to consider, perhaps, going to community centers and holding art classes on your own for seniors, moms, kids, etc. etc. Have a specific project they can pay to make and you help.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Is there really any certainty in any line of work?  Unfortunately, now-a-days there really isn't.

You're welcome to join my business group Mommy Movers & Shakers.  We added a forum for moms returning to the workforce, and we have a forum for business owners.  It'd be an excellant place to discuss this with other moms in the same boat.  Check us out at http://www.cafemom.com/group/movers

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I guess you might want to find out what is going on with the education budget in the state you live in. Here in FL, they are talking about doing away with 'art programs' because of the budget cuts, etc. I think that this is a TERRIBLE idea, but I think that it is inevitable here.
    Anonymous