what does the bible saying about calling a persons a fool or foolish?

This word has been thrown around a lot lately and I wonder if we should stop and think what we are actually saying and if this is the imagine of our self we want to give others.

Jesus condemned calling one a fool out of unjustified anger (Matt. 5:22). If one calls another a fool out of sinful hate, then calling someone such a name (or any similar term) is wrong.

Jesus called some fools. Here him: "Ye fools and blind..." (Matt. 23:19). In this same chapter Jesus calls these people "Hypocrites" and "blind guides." Yet, beloved, Jesus was without sin (Heb. 4:15). Jesus was clear in his teaching (in such cases). He clearly identified those against whom he spoke (Matt. 23:2ff).

The atheist is called a fool (Ps. 14:1), the slanderer is said to be a fool (Prov. 10:18), those who despise instruction (Prov. 15:5), a contentious person (Prov. 18:6), the one who lives for pleasure (Lk. 12:13-20), the one who trusts in his won

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• uhm hum just uhm hm

unfortunately the one committing the evil doesn't actually understand why it is evil
    Anonymous

• don't judge others..... bottom line and u could have saved yourself alot of typing. don't worry about what others do or say unless you are perfect yourself
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I could have saved myself typing, but since this is the question and answers section...what the heck lets get a question going and hey about even throw in a few opinions.

I understand you might think it is wrong, but maybe you could not judge the questions of others? in other words you could have saved yourself a lot of reading :) I can be snippy before my coffee in the morning. hmm?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• princessbeth79, in a way your words could be said to you and your concern for other's questions. lol
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• the ones who stay with the wise fair good but the ones with stupid ones fair bad.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It also says this... Matthew 5:22 (New American Standard Bible)22"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, '[a]You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before [b]the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the [c]fiery hell.
    Matthew 5:22 (The Message)Murder
    21-22"You're familiar with the command to the ancients, 'Do not murder.' I'm telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder. Carelessly call a brother 'idiot!' and you just might find yourself hauled into court. Thoughtlessly yell 'stupid!' at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire. The simple moral fact is that words kill.
    continued...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Matthew 5:22 (New King James Version)22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause[a] shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.

It really is the heart attitude. I personally do not call people fools or idiots. Its too dangerous !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yes however there is a very big diff between calling one a fool/foolish, and saying their actions, words, and way of thinking is fool/foolish.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

so it is to call a person's actions foolish just the actual person. NICE
    Anonymous

• unfortunately the one committing the evil doesn't actually understand why it is evil

First off I have read the scriptures on it so you can save that. With out them explain to me why saying fooli/foolish is evil. Please enlighten me. Don't use the generic well Jesus or God said so either. I mean why it is truly evil?

Yes example your child is a straight A child, and steals a car. Do you call him stupid or his actions? It is a lot better. Also if you want my dh just calls every one retarded which pisses me off, but if you prefer I can say that instead.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010