Question for the Workout Mommies

So today I am going to the gym for the first time ever (before baby I could get away with it, unfortunately now, not so much). So, do you any of you mommies that go to the gym regularly have any tips or suggestions for me?? Perhaps how long I should spend on each machine (treadmill, spinning thing, step climber thing) or which machine I should spend special time on to achieve my goals (build up endurance, stamina, muscle and tone my stomach/rid myself of these not so lovely love handles)?? Any type of tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (I figured it would be better to talk to fellow mommies than shell out some money on a personal trainer lol)

And even though I know this question is kind of silly, please no harsh words. Thanks! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My advice is to take it very easy & start off slow the first few weeks. The BIGGEST mistake a lot of people make, is they push themselves too far in the beginning, then DREAD having to go back. It's very important that you build your stamina slowly. If i were you, i would pick an easy machine...like the treadmill & walk at a alight incline for about 30-40 minutes. Do not walk too fast, keep it slow & keep your heart rate at a comfortable pace. You should be able to have a conversation while working out. If you're huffing & puffing too much to speak, then you are doing too much.

Follow with some lifting machines. And start off light. Start your bench press @ 25 lbs, & yo uonly need to do ONE set of about 15 pushes. Next week, add 2.5 or 5 lbs to that (depending on how hard it was for you) Do the same with the squat machine, you can start that at about 45 lbs & keep adding 2.5 lbs every week.

Cont...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Bench press & squat machines is a good start for now. If you want to lift more weights, you can do some shoulder presses. BUT, JUST doing bench press & squats will actually help tone your whole body. One you get to a desired point of weight loss, you can add different machinces to your regime & to work on more specific muscles if you wish.

FYI. you will lose more inches if you add a little weight training. The Lbs may not come off as fast, but your clothes will get loser on you much more quickly. Muscle is way more compact than fat, so 5 lbs of muscle is MUCH MUCH smaller in size than 5 lbs of fat. When you begin building muscle & losing fat...sometimes the lbs don't come off...but you certainly ARE more thin. Also, weight training is a more sure way to keep the extra bulge off. People who just do cardio usually gain fat back MUCH quicker than someone who also weight trains.

Keep it easy in the beginning!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• One more thing...

Do not over work your muscles. Choose a specific day to work each muscle & wait until next week to do it again. If you keep working the same muscles on the lifting machines every day, you will lose muscle mass & become weaker. You need to let your muscles rest & become stronger before lifting again. Just in case you didn't know :~)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• look at the "body for life" book. there are exercises using both machine weights and free weights. there are great instructions with pictures. like samurai said, break up the weight workouts. upper body one day, lower body two days later...maybe abs and extra abs two days after that. i like 45 minutes of cardio, and i like cardio every workout...but it is probably not necessary.
    any upper weights that you do could be done on a balance ball or wobble board to work the core muscles too. you can watch what other people are doing at the gym too!
    like others said too, take it easy at first...you don't want to be so sore or so tired that you cant go back the next day. or you may even want to start off at 3-4 days a week.
    good luck, and be sure to have fun with it!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• When I wanted to lose weight, I worked out on the treadmil every other day for 1 mile at 2.0 mph.The other days I walked. I never did the other machines. When I wanted to bulk up I lifted weights. Not the 3- 5 lb plastic weights. But the real deal. It really changes your body. It makes you gain weight. But not fat. I love working out with weights.But I honestly would not waste my money on a gym. I bought the treadmill and also walked outside and just asked around for wiehgt training tips. GL. It is hard to keep it off. But after your body adjusts to it you won't gain weight.But I am talking from 20 years of dieting and exercise.Don't waste money on those info mercial gadgets. You gotta sweat it and burn it off...........
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• First you need to define your goals...then get a plan and write it down. Like, "lose weight" and "tone" are goals so then you will research foods and exercises that will facilitate those goals and then go for it. I LOVE Oxygen Magazine and HER'S...I used them to teach myself almost everything I know about fitness. I definitely reccomend them, Oxeygen especially gives you so much information, like meal plans, targeted workout and so much more. GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT!
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 5:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2010