Practices with kids

The question on witchcraft about the coven made me want to point something out with out taking over the thread.

Many where talking about being careful or not allowing teens to practice Wicca in the woman's home with out parental concent because of the risks that could be involved, and how much trouble they could get into.

Does anyone else notice though that teens do not need to have parental permision to go to a bible study? Or that if you are a christian and have children in the home that are not yours (sleepovers and such) that no one expects you to hide your prayers?

I just wonder why it is ok that you do not need parents to get into christian practices, but any of the other people have to worry and hide all religious practices from visiting minnors.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• idk Im personally a christian but Everyone practices religion differently and while i can understand the worry, and concern... i think every religion should be met with respect.... its a personal choice kids make, and its not our job to judge....
    Hell, im christian and my ex husband practiced VAMPIRISM. talk about a HUGE difference... many of my Closest friends are Wicca... I look at it as a respect thing... Treat everyone equally...
    If the kid however is uncomfortable being subjected to it,, it believe the kid could go home, or just be honest and id hope the person or family would have enough respect for their visitor to postpone their practice or do it in another room.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My kids would need permission to go to bible study or really anything else- I see no big difference between any of it. As a parent, you should want to know what your children are involved in doing. If they want to practice something you are not familiar with, you should take the time to learn about it and make sure any practice is done safely and within your families guidelines.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well, I would give the same advice to a parent who's child wanted to start a Bible Study Groups as well. The reason I suggested that she keep an eye open is because many teens watch fictional movies such as the Craft and think that is what Wicca is. It is NOT! However, because this is the idea that teens get from the media this may be the only model that they have and this could lead to some trouble. The main reason is because movies like that incorporate aspects such as blood usage and alcohol abuse in to their "rituals." So just as you wouldn't want your teens practicing snake handling or other potentially dangerous Christian practices without a parent, you would want to know what was going on. When teens get together, trouble can happen. Pagan, Christian, Buddhist... Teens can get in trouble!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If the only real model your kids had of Christianity was extremest fictional movies such as Stigmata or The Order I would hope that you would keep an eye out to make sure that your kids were following actual Christianity rather than what they see on TV. It's the same thing for Wicca and Paganism. Because there are so few honest portrayals of Wiccan and Pagan Practices and Ritual on TV and the fact that many people are undereducated on the truth behind them, simply means that people with no real guidance and with no real model have more of a chance to get involved with something unsafe and something based solely on fiction.

As a Pagan woman, I know real paganism and Wicca are NOT dangerous! However, from talking to this woman, there was no experienced teacher for these teens, so their chances of being mislead by Hollywood is just to high not to be cautious...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Does anyone else notice though that teens do not need to have parental permision to go to a bible study? I do ask the parents for permision and I tell them it is a Catholic Church.  Or that if you are a christian and have children in the home that are not yours (sleepovers and such) that no one expects you to hide your prayers? I don't take down my crucifix, but I also don't pull out my rosary and pray infront of their kids. It is kind of just respect. It may not be expected but it is good manners. 

gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Maybe it is just the area I live in. If a Wiccan was to say a simple blessing over a meal at her child's sleep over there would be huge back lash up to and possibly including court (yes it would most likely get dismissed, but I have seen this happen more than once where police where involved and court was threatened). Yet Prayers at a sleep over are perfectly fine and seen as their house their rules, and if you even thought about getting cross about it again every one would be on your case.

I just wondered if that post, and others in the situation where a sign that it was outside of where I live.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Does anyone else notice though that teens do not need to have parental permision to go to a bible study?  They should!  They totally 100% should!!  NO ONE should be instructing ANY minor in ANY religion with out the parent's permission. 

Or that if you are a christian and have children in the home that are not yours (sleepovers and such) that no one expects you to hide your prayers?  Again, they should.  Maybe not "hide" but not over do it, all preachy and such.

con't

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I just wonder why it is ok that you do not need parents to get into christian practices, but any of the other people have to worry and hide all religious practices from visiting minnors.  You DO need parents' permission!!!!!!!  Unfortunately, this country has a Christian majority...so therefore some of think their way is the ONLY WAY...but it's not.  Also there are those who feel they need to "save" these kids from their wicked parents, and that they are doing something "good".  blegh

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• This is just my personal IRL experience, but most Christians that I know automatically assumes that you HAVE to be of THEIR beliefs and think nothing of making sure that you know this when you are at their home or even (as I said from RL experience) in public.
    These same ppl can not hold on to no other concept that others may believe differently than them, except as in a demon..
    That is why I feel that permission or the parents knowledge of their child being involved in anything pertaining to religion or a different cultural experience should be aware of.
    The backlash alone can be extremely devastating to anyone from any walk of life/culture/religion.
    To me it isn't the hiding, but the respect of the other child's parents and their religious background or lack of...it is allowing the parents to know what their child is interested in and as their child it is their right to say yea or nay as it would be for me
    with my child
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't talk about my beliefs with the visitor, openly. However nor would I hide it, but if they asked me questions I would ask the parents permission before discussing it. If my dd went to your I would expect no more or no less consideration. I don't want you to hide your things, but please be respectful of me by asking before talking about it with my kids. I will most likely say it is fine since I wont them to find their own paths. As long as you aren't a extremist, Waco, or truly praise the devil which I know is dif. than Satanism (Which I don't mind Satanism, just not the other.) So essentially don't be a psycho. Besides they will find some of those things in some Christian homes. I have tarot cards, my great grandma has a lot of potion items and spell books. I also know that their are some things other Christians may have with out knowing they are related.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010