Where are your kids toys?

Right now the toys are all in one corner of the living room, because that's what has suited our lifestyle, but I'm getting tired of looking at them all the time. leaving one or two toys out of place makes my whole house look unkempt.

I'm thinking of giving up the guestroom/office to keep all the toys in, but I wont have anything to do with the furniture, and we really use our office a lot.

Do you have a "play room" where all the toys go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Toys are in their rooms. When they were babies, the toy box was in the living room, since that's where we were most of the time, but after about 2, the toys got moved to the bedrooms, and the living room was toy-free.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Toys are in their rooms. When they were smaller, I had a wicker basket I kept in the living room. Once they became about 2 or 3, all the toys were moved... When they still shared a room, I had the other bedroom a playroom until they went into their own rooms.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• a lot of my daughter's toys are in her bedroom. we have toys in our living room and it doesnt bother me to look at. i try to keep them tidy and not just piled up. maybe try getting one of those plastic toy bins or even a mesh hamper type thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We had a play room. I hated it. By the end of the day it would be a disaster. Of course at the time we had 4 kids and they were pretty young. Now that we have 5, the play room is gone. We needed the space. Now toys are kept in their rooms only. They want to play then they do it in their room. If they bring a toy out they better put it back before I see it. There are two exceptions. The baby is still learning this rule so he gets a free pass, and if we are playing as a family in the living room or where ever. I agree that it makes the house look messy. If you are using that space I wouldn't give it up. Have the toys in their room and come up with a plan. Like one toy at a time or whatever.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We have toys sorted into clear plastic containers with lids. My little ones are sharing a room and we have the toys in another bedroom that is currently serving as a playroom. In our old house we didn't have a spare room so the toys were in their rooms, or before the kids were 18 months old the toys were mostly in the living room. I allow one or two bins out at a time and a bin has to be repacked and put away before another can be opened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We have a play room for most of the kids' toys. They are allowed to bring the toys out to the living room, but at the end of the day, the toys go back to the play room. We have a few toys in the family room in our basement (outside our master bathroom). The kids play with them while I get ready for work in the mornings.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 10:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i also hated playrooms, i tryed to create one but we needed it for a bedroom and it doesnt help we once had a small home with a lot of toys.

this is the idea that i came up with instead, i took an abandoned part of the house, ours was downstairs by the washer and dryer, bought long boards and shelving brackets and hung them up on the wall so it took most of the wall up and it consisted of 4 or 5 shelves and the bottom i used tots/container to slide in and out for the smaller toys. i will do this also in my new house and also have a small toybox in each of the kids's rooms.

i used a storage cabinet for puzzles and games http://total-locker-service.co.uk/images/ppe.jpg
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• we have a small closet under the stairs and I have a small bookcase in there and the toys are stacked on the shelves and in little plastic tubs. sometimes the spillover is annoying but its easy to just toss the toys in there and close the door. to much work to drag the toys downstairs then back up
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• we have a finished basement and that is where most toys are. after this past Christmas however, we now have the younger kids toys in the family and living room :(
    we are going to have to rearrange the basement to make room for this stuff!
    i would probably lose the office and make it a toy room. it is so nice having them all in one place!
    we have a desk unit that completely closes up when we are not using it, and it is in our living room. dh and i can keep our office stuff tidier (usually) than the kids and their toys!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• we have 2 toy boxes...one in the living room and one in my DD's bedroom. she's still a toddler so its easier for her toys to be in the living room as thats where we are most of the day. id be constantly running back and forth from her room carrying toys for her so she wouldnt scream in frustration at them being too heavy haha. but as she gets older her toys will move to her room and she can bring them in the living room a few at a time.

we cant do a playroom, theres just no space for that...but it would be nice!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2010