No gift parties?

Does anyone else throw no-gift parties for their kids? DS asked for that when he was 5 (now 8) and DD has agreed to it for her 7th bday party. I have met a lot of resistance from the parents, some even send a gift anyway grrr, but we love them! My kids don't need anything and DS doesn't really want anything that people would get him so I figure why bother?
I think the next party will be something along the lines of bring something for the food pantry instead of no gifts.
Anyone else do this?

indymom22

Asked by indymom22 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have never heard of this. Your children get no gifts at all for their birthdays?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Instead of telling them no gifts, take the gifts and give them to charity.

There are alot of kids that don't have any toys, or your local police department, they can distribute them to kids in a sticky situation. Local churches.

No need to say no, just except and give it away.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i've always heard people say, we just want you to come, dont worry about bringing a gift. even then we brought gifts. BUT really try to stress the idea of no gifts, but i wouldnt say bring something for the food pantry. imo you would be better off asking for clothes or something they will NEED.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• KFree's idea is a good one :)
    Anonymous

• I've not heard of it for others - but I was thinking of requesting it for DS's 1st b-day. We usually get everything he could need or want. So everything else is just something I have to find a place for. I so wish everyone would listen to me - but I'm sure that won't happen.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I did a party one year for my daughter in December instead of in July when her birthday was. We had a Christmas cookie decorating party, and since it had nothing to do with her birthday gifts/no gifts wasn't an issue. I think people are reluctant to send their kids to a party without a gift even if "no gift" is specified on the invites. I think bringing donations is a great idea. I have also heard of kids having regualr birthday parties and then donating all their gifts to toys for tots or a women's shelter or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I love the idea of a no gift party! I agree that usually we don't need or want the plastic crap we end up with after kids' birthday parties, and I think a donation to the foodshelf is a great alternative for those who feel compelled to bring something...
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yes, we only allowed gifts for our son's first birthday.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 10:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yep, but all our freinds are good about it. We say we just want them to come and celebrate. Our kids still get gifts from grandparents, and our tradition has become that we go out as a family and the b-day kid gets to pick out whatever they want for t heir gift and gets to call the shots for that day ( we have a party day , then a family day).
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Right now my son is very much into the theme of party and all that we associate with it. We are not into materialism and don't do a lot of mainstream things (like no television) that other people pooh-pooh. I have asked family to do gifts that are the gifts that keep on giving. Such as a membership to the zoo or a membership to some other type of place we can visit. Sometimes they listen and sometimes they do as they want to AND get the membership. We don't do big parties. So far just family and a few friends. Nothing huge so there isn't this pile up of gifts from friends. Our family tends to give great gifts that thankfully are things that I would love to buy but just would think that is way too much money. Things that are, also thankfully, educational. I think we can always ask but it is not realistic to think that people will truly follow your requests down to the letter. I plan to do them no gift parties.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2010