Did you have a doula attend your birth?

I did have a doula at my first birth. She did okay, but it was a fairly uneventful birth so we really did not utulize her much. I had not considered having one this time, but came across a girl that is somewhat new and really looking for some births to get her certification.
I'm just wondering what should I expect of her this time around?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 10:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You would be the perfect candidate for a newbie to experiment on! lol

Seriously, if you have already had one uneventful birth, and she is looking for experience, you could both benefit from this scenario. No two births are alike, but you already know what it is to experience labor/birth, so you're much more prepared. She would be doing the same things any doula does- playing a supportive role as you labor at home, helping you focus, ease pain, keep nourished & hydrated, and be your cheer leader. In a hospital setting, it is the same, only the doulas role is to advocate for the laboring woman, and mitigate the impact of laboring or birthing in a hospital, by reducing risk factors (interventions), and communicating what is in the best interest of the laboring woman, and unborn child.

I say go for it- If she is not thew same doula as before, just take time to get to know her, and express your desires, and expectations.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I had a doula at my first and it was a very traumatic delivery. I would never have one again - the NICU was called when he got stuck in the birth canal, they couldn't get him breathing, and she freaked me out more than anything (basically she told me that my baby might not make it!)

Answer by missanc at 11:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2010