I know there is no diagnosis.....Autism question

I know there is no clear diagnosis or cause of this disease, but could drinking a beer during pregnancy (at least 1 a week) or drinking a beer while breastfeeding have anything to do with it.
(My friend claims that her doctor said it was okay...but I don't believe her) She says that the cause was trama during birth saying that he (the doctor) twisted her neck during delivery.
(I know everyone has them....but I'm going to ask anyway..... Any Opinions??)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've never heard of any correlation between drinking during pregnancy and autism- it can lead to many other issues but not this one. And most things say one drink isn't that big of a deal although I personally didn't care to drink during my pregnancy. Women used to be given a beer in the hospital after delivery to help with milk let down and that was way before autism rates were on the rise. So I don't think your friend's drinking had anything to do with her child's autism, and likely neither did any head twisting during delivery. It is one of those unfortunate things that we don't have answers for yet. In the meantime it doesn't really matter why he has it, but just that she treats it the best way she possibly can.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• First off Autism is NOT a disease it is a Disorder--- Autism Spectrum Disorder. Second there is no known cause for Autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• One last comment- yes there are official diagnosis for Autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Ummm drinking beer would cause fetal alcohol syndrome-- not Autism!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Ditto to all of the above!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2010