OMG! I think i had a mommy heart attack this morning.

So went to the gas station this morning and after i was done pumping gas i let my 4 yr son come with me because i always let him get a drink. This time he just took off before i could grab his hand and almost got hit by a car! I feel so bad and just can't stop thinking about it. This woman was going pretty fast for driving thru a gas station with people walking everywhere. I know this really isn't a question. Please tell me im not the only person this has happened to this is the first time.

kd2kds

Asked by kd2kds at 10:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids do that.... and people are stupid and need to watch where they are going.....
    at least he didnt do what my brother did... when my brother was that age my mom put him in his carseat and ran to lock up the house and he got outta his carseat and put the car into reverse... almost ran into the neighbors house.... talk about scary.. imagin chasing ur car down the road with ur kid behind the wheel.... lol
    Im really glad that your son is safe though... be relieved. Hes gotta guardian angel watchin over him- He knows her as Mommy...
    Dont let it get ya down.... Hes safe at home where he should be. :)
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 10:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think even the most vigilant parents get an occasional scare. I am always thankful that it was only a scare and it makes me more alert.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh thank you, ya he is fine thank god. I really needed some support because right now i have no one to talk to. of course he thought nothing of it.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 10:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Children can do stuff that we wouldn't expect at a really dangerous time like what happen this morning. I would have told the women to slow the hell down and from here on out i would start teaching you child to always walk and look both ways and for that matter all ways at all times. This wasn't your fault just let him know that when momma gets you out of here you need to hold my hand and stay with me or someone will hit you with there car.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• They will do that. You feel like the worst parent in the world but it really does happen to everyone eventually. Just keep reinforcing that he holds your hand and walks right beside you in a parking lot. My son is 4 and hates holding our hands sometimes, he wants to be so independent, but we just say that is what we do in a parking lot and he does.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Don't worry I think it has happened to just about all of us.

My middle son has given me a few mommy heart attacks. I won't take all my kids to the park by myself anymore because of him. I turned to help my youngest son get up onto a small slide and when I turned back around I couldn't find my middle son. After a few minutes of not being able to find him I'm panicking. I had asked some other parents if they had seen him and nobody did. After about 10-15 minutes of quite a few people looking for him we managed to find him hiding underneath a picnic table in a pavilion that we couldn't see. He was 4 yrs old and he informed me that he was playing hide and seek with his mommy. I love how they decide to play games that I don't know we are playing. Now when we go to the park I make sure there is at LEAST one other adult with me just in case.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• like somone said, even the most vigilant parents get caught off gaurd. I haven't had this situation, but my oldest once ran off on us in a large departments store... I had a panic attack!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• my dd did that last summer. i was picking her up at the daycare, i was 6 months pregnant so i couldn't run too fast, she took off down the path and didn't stop at the end like she normally does but kept going right into the drop off lane for the school buses. luckily the driver had seen her coming and had plenty of time to stop. i was so scared, that was the only time i have ever spanked her. she has never done that again where there are cars. although she did take off on me in the mall a few weeks ago and i had the baby in the stroller so i couldn't run fast again, it took me almost 10 minutes to find her because i lost site of her when she ducked behind a dang kiosk. i finally found her sitting on a bench beside a little old lady. she was hidden behind the lady's shopping cart so i had walked past her a couple of times before the lady was like "are you looking for her??" ARGH!
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• thanks ladys so much, im finally calming down.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2010