decorating sense...i have wood walls, how do i redo my cabinets?

in my kitchen and living room, there will be no seperation wall so the whole thing will follow through as these wooden planks on the wall, i chose to do this instead of sheetrock because when we were remodeling the house and stripping it, i really liked the wood that was underneath all the plaster and cieling tiles.

i will stain my walls a dark deep redish toned stain called Red Mahogamy. my cabinets in the kitchen can be redone anyway i want them to be redone, they are so outdated right now. the counter top needs some ideas too.

thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know what type of cabinets you are working with, but if they are solid wood then you can re-stain them a lighter color (a warm honey will look beautiful against the mahogany red stain of the walls) or you can re-paint them. If they are not solid wood, but are pressed wood with a veneer then you won't be able to stain them. In order to paint over veneer you will have to sand them well, add a primer, and then paint.
    There are wonderful looking paints out there that you can work with that can provide a lot of different results. I'm a country bumpkin so I am in love with the crackle look, but I also love a solid colored paint that I can add stenciling to.
    If you have to paint them, it will depend on what color you prefer to work in with your whole decor. A lovely butter yellow or eggshell are nice. Be sure to use a semi-gloss.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would suggest a lighter color for your cabinets to let the wood stand out again it more. Are you painting old cabinets or buying new ones?? If your painting..I did a faux finish to the MIL's cabinets and they look awsome! It was pretty fun too.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 10:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You could go with a light or a bright color that you love to contrast with the dark wood. If you don't want to spend much money on countertops consider buying an epoxy kit at Lowe's ($250) or if you don't want to do it yourself call a reglazing place and get an estimate (probably $300 - $500). We just moved and our kitchen had 1970's gold countertops, and we bought an epoxy kit and transformed them to black with grey and white specks; they aren't as smooth as granite, but when you walk into the room they look like granite. We hired someone to do epoxy on the countertops at our old house to make it look better and hopefully sale more quickly - it looks amazing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• im redoing old cabinets, not buying anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Counter-tops are different because of the various materials they are made of. If they are of press-board with a veneer finish then it really isn't worth painting them. You can have a new veneer placed over the top and it is relatively inexpensive. If your counter-tops are made of other types of materials, then you would need to speak to a professional about your options. If you have a counter-top with a solid support and wood bottom then you can tile the whole surface for a whole new, beautiful look. Only solid wood can be re-stained, but I would never paint a counter-top (jmo).
    Have fun!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2010