Moms w/ HE Front Loaders: What detergent gets stains out without fading your clothes?

I used to be the laundry queen. Rarely was there ever a spot I couldn't get out and even my kids' Walmart play clothes stayed looking like new. Then I got an HE front loader. Now Some spots aren't coming out for me and most of our clothes are fading, some in just one wash!

Right now I'm using Cheer Bright Clean HE and it seems to really fade our clothes. I've also tried Tide Total Care HE which I liked except the orange color seems to stain some fabrics. I don't like Gain at all due to the smells which seem to really irritate me.

Before I got an HE machine I used All. I loved regular All and All Baby, but don't think I've seen an HE All detergent.

What are you using in your HE front loader that's working really well?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i use tide & cheer! not only do they smell great but they get the stains out too!
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 10:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• 2x Ultra Tide HE is what I use, but I also pretreat organic or oily stains with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I never add bleach of any kind in the washer.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I guess not many moms have front loaders?

confused

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Have you tried the All Small and Mighty? I love it!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 10:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Wisk! Seriously, I have tried EVERYTHING he in my frontloader. I have sensitive skin...I can't use Cheer, but for some reason, I'm good with Wisk (and it does have quite a bit of fragrance).
    lifehappy

Answer by lifehappy at 11:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I use tide and for stains I use the pretreat tide stain release. So far so good!!
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I have a front loader and I have never had issues with stains. I use Clorox color safe bleach to pre-treat stains and that stuff works like magic and I use Tide Cold Water detergent (I was everything in cold). I also had a washing machine repairperson tell me to NOT juse as much laundry soap as the container tells you to. For a large load use 3 TEASPOONS of laundry soap and for a medium load just use use 2. It gets the laundry just as clean and you don't have a ton of excess soap left on the clothes.
    Anonymous

• Oh and they do make ALL Small and Mighty HE.
    Anonymous

• You can use ANY DETERGENT in a front loader.....it doesn't have to be HE. JUST USE LESS!!!
    I've had a front loader for almost 7 yrs now and don't have a fading problem. But our water at the time didn't use some of the chemicals for purifying that do the fading. I now use a touch woolite for darks in our dark loads along with our other detergent. I get what I can find on sale and with a coupon.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I dont have a fading problem, check your water temp, perhaps that is the cause. If your "warm" is too hot, then things will fade. I use Tide or Cheer, and I also do a pre-wash of Oxi-clean. I use the spray treater on hard stains. I have 3 boys and a DH so lots of stains. Sometimes it takes a wash or two...an extra rinse cycle won't hurt either.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010