Why is NOT OK to hit your children but is OK to spank?

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not endorse spanking for any reason, citing its lack of long-term effectiveness as a behavior-changing tactic. Instead the AAP supports strategies such as "time-outs" when children misbehave, which focus on getting kids to reflect on their behavior and the consequences of their actions. Still, as many parents can attest, few responses bring about the immediate interruption of a full-blown tantrum like a swift whack to the bottom.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100412/hl_time/08599198101900

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well girrrl, the bible says spare the rod spoil the child. Not spare the corner spoil the child. Call me crazy, but I trust the Maker of the universe vs. some one sided study chocked with human error.

Groing up, I've seen the kids that never got spanked. They were rebellious, and most of them had kids before they were 18. Some got on meth or some other hard drug, and a number of them didn't graduate high school.

If we instill the idea that "spanking is unfair cause only adults can do it, and it's violent and cruel", kids will take that to an extreme. "That's not fair that wealthy people drive expensive cars, so I'll steal one..." It's not fair that only adults can drink and smoke. I can too! It's not fare that fair for anyone can bully me, so I'll bully back...(Columbine) Spanking teaches consequences and boundaries. Can't argue with the good Lord!
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh good lord.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The AAP is not the be all end all authority on children's behavior. A blanket statement such as "spanking creates aggressive people" is wrong. Everyone I know, this includes friends and relatves, was spanked as a child and none of them are aggressive or have ever been involved in a crime. How a child turns out depnds on more than just spanking. Environment, parents, school, etc. You can't just say John is a murderer because his parents spanked him when he was a child. It doesn't work that way regardless of what a bunch of doctors say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think this is just asking for a heated debate , this is such a controversal topic. Everyone feels very one sides about this. I will say though, A spanking and a beating are two totally different things. I do spank my son when we've gone through everything else, ie: standing in the corner, taking a toy away etc..when all else fails he most certainly get a spanking on the rear. Do I leave marks? NO. Do I love my son? With all my heart.
    Its all in a matter of opinion but regardless hitting a child and spanking a child are complete opposites and shouldnt be compared. A child gets a spanking out of disciplined , this is a controlled swat on te rear to grap their attention. Hitting a child, breaks bones, leaves bruises and marks and is done excessively out of anger and no self control. Hitting a child is never right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i do occasionally spank my daughter, but i also use time out a lot. at her age i dont think she sits there and reflects on what she did wrong. but she does listen better or do whatever i told her to do, or not do, which caused her to go into time out. i spank for dangerous or important things lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think the AAP needs a good spanking.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 10:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with Womanofgod!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Will do do not have to beat your kids to get them to listen and If you are than you need parenting classes.

I it is okay to spank on the butt, but only once. I have seen parents that keep hitting and now that is wrong.

Never hit the face, NEVER! all the spanking should be done only under the age of 5-years old. Over that age something is wrong.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't spank my son he is a very polite and sweet child. He is strong willed and stubborn at times too. We used logical consequences and time outs when he was younger. He is older now so grounding or loss of privileges are in place. He rarely is in trouble he knows we will follow through and it is not worth it. He told me it was just easier and better for him if he doesn't talk back or not follow the rules. We make sure to shower him with affection when we catch him doing things right and praise him for his good behavior. We get compliments all the time on what a great kid he is. I will never understand the need for spanking seems so unnecessary when there are more logical options out there.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What no mention of removing the child from "the hot stove" or distracting the child with a "safe" toy. Our only choice is "time-outs"  Seriously, You can't put a 9 month old in the corner. He isn't going to reflcet on his behavior.  But you should NOT be spanking a 10 year old either. You have to have a range of teaching methods that are age appropriate.  And you have to be a hands on, in their face parent who sits on the floor and plays with them rather than leaves them to their own devices and yells when they get into something you didn't think they could reach.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2010