How to mix in cream cheese completely?

OK so here's the recipe I'm following for strawberry shortcake topping -
1 box vanilla pudding, prepared
1 brick cream cheese, softened
1 tub cool whip
1 qt strawberries, cut into slices

First you make the pudding, then add the cream cheese. I mixed it with the hand mixer on the highest speed like forever and there were still little chunks of cream cheese. Is there a way to get it to blend completely?

Oh, if you're interested in the rest of the recipe, after you blend it, you mix in the cool whip and strawberries by hand and refrigerate. Delicious, even with the little blobs of cream cheese.

heydooney

Asked by heydooney at 10:14 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The other ladies are right...it has to be pretty darn soft. Sometimes I set the cream cheese on the stove if I'm baking something, and I do resort to putting in the microwave as well. You have to be careful how long you leave it in though. During the summer I can usually get it soft enough if I just leave it out on the counter though.

Anyway........i frequently make a dessert where I have to mix the pudding and cream cheese. My "trick" is to get the cream cheese soft and then put it into a bowl and stir it up so it's smooth. Then I spoon a small amt of pudding into the cream cheese and stir.....keep repeating this until you've got about 1/2 your pudding in the cream cheese and it's smooth. Now you can add the rest of the pudding and mix it all together.

It dirties an extra bowl, but it works EVERYTIME!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Make sure its been left at room tempeture for a while as this definately helps make it softer to mix..and i flatten it out while still in the package after its super soft..this works for me.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 10:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yeah, you have to let it sit out awhile before mixing it in. When it is room temperature, then, it mixes better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I put it in the microwave for a few secs to soften it up really well. you have to keep an eye on it though or it will ruin
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I let the cream cheese soften for a while and then I whip it with my mixer before adding it to anything. Since you've already added it maybe try putting it in your belnder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I chop mine up for a quicker room temperature like 3-4 hours is safe. Or I do a defrost option on my microwave also, but yes, like a pp said, keep your eye on it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• ???? For the recipe are you using a small box of pudding or the large one?? And you are mixing the cool whip and strawberries into the pudding mix ? What are you using for the "shortcake".

This sounds yummy!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Large, yes, and I used angel food cake but you can use shortcake or anything you like.
    Thanks for all the answers, I had it on the counter overnight but I guess it was pretty cool here that night.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 11:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2010