What to do for Social Studies? (homeschool)

This might be best in a group, but I thought I would reach MORE people this way. Perhaps even non-homeschoolers, teachers, and retired teachers that would have some ideas.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions for Social Studies (History) materials, curricula, etc. I'm a Catholic-Christian so I would either want something that from a Catholic vendor OR something that is secular. I'm looking for next school year. My kids will be 3/4 th grade then. (8/9 years old) Thanks for you input!

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have the Complete Book of United States History, The Complete Book of Presidents and States and The Complete Book of Maps and Geography. (McGraw-Hill Children's Publishing) I'm using this with my kids this year and we like them. :-)

You can try googling them or go to Amazon.com.

Edhelper.com has great worksheets and units, it's awesome and only $20 for the yr. We use this alot and also use it for other subjects.

Hope that helps some. :-)
    Anonymous

• Have you tried looking online? I don't home school, but I would assume you could find material online. Also, Im not sure how this would work for home school, but maybe a 'field trip' of sorts. If you can afford it go to the Vatican. It's pretty cool. If not, maybe set up a meeting with a local priest who could talk to them about the history of the church.  We have a private Catholic college here.  It's at an old Abbey and full of history.  Im sure they have tours.  You could see if you have one in your area and set something up.  For other history go to museums and historical places.  Kids love that stuff. (at least mine do anyway)  We have an awesome nature museum that has an outdoor trail with villages from different time periods.  They always have something going on.  Very educational.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yes, I've comb the web. I've asked in other forums, other sites, and location. I've gotten some wonderful suggestions, but nothing is quite what I'm looking for. Or the suggestions have been the materials I've already been using and I'm not happy with them. That's part of the reason I asked here. I thought I would branch out and get suggestions for a much wider pool then the places I've asked before. Sunshine06, thanks for your input.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Have you looked into buying materials that Catholic schools use? Maybe call some local ones and ask what they use. I wish I could be more help. We planned on home school when my oldest was little, but by the time she was old enough to start school she was way too excited about going to school like her older friends and cousins. So we just correct what the school gets wrong and fill in the gaps. Thankfully we also have teachers in the family to help and Im a SAHM so I have the time. I think what you are doing is awesome. Good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for! :)

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Anonymous-Thanks for your input. I've started to check some of those books out :)
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Have you checked with the Archiodese in your area? They may be able to help you out too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• tyfry7496- No, I haven't contacted or talked with anyone in my dioceses/archdioceses office. Thanks for your input.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2010