Christians and Birth Control?

What are your thoughts on using birth control? This question is specifially for Christians. I have recently starting researching what the Bible says about having children and was surprised to find that I can't find a single reference in the Bible that talks about limiting the number of children in your family. The only thing that I could find about it refers to GOD opening and closing the womb.

I also started researching birth control methods like the pill and Natural Family Planning. I was horrified to discover that the IUD, the pill, and other hormonal methods can actually CAUSE abortions!!! And that in the Bible it specifically says not to 'deprive each other except for times of prayer' (1 Corinthians 7:5) which, in my understanding, includes during ovulation. Which means that NFP is not biblical.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think God wants us to use birth control or rely on Him to plan our families?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think individual couples need to pray and ask God what is best for their family.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Here are just a couple of links that I found in my research:

http://krohse.com/birthcontrol/

http://www.themarriagebed.com/pages/biology/birthcontrol.shtml

http://www.biblebb.com/files/tonyqa/tc99-10.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• the bible talks about spreading the seed and mutiplying. That would be a personal choice for most but catholics are forbid to use it.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:12 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• well i always put my life in Gods hands and i have a wonderful son and my daughter was born an angel ( she was a still born) i am not agianst having more children but right now i know that it is not in my plan i have an iud and when i feel it is time to have another child i will get it taken out but u just have to listen to ur heart and listen to what GOD tells u
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I am not against bc. A lot of Christian pro-lifers are, though. I'd rather someone use bc to prevent pregnancy than have an abortion. Some bc is abortificiant though.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• View Image
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think He wants to rely on Him but also be responsible just like in every area of our life. I do not like being on the pill, just because how I react to it but I am on the mini pill was breastfeeding at the moment. DH and I tried nfp and we are just too spontaneous. That is how our last two kids got here, we don't take the time to look at the calendar, lol. But I think that nfp is the way God would like us to go. He designed our bodies to work that way. It does really work when followed correctly. The only reason I am on the pill right now is because we cannot afford to have another baby. I don't think God's plan would be for us to get government assistance or whatever to provide for our family.
    Anonymous

• God has lead me to have 3 children. He put a longing in me at those times. At other times I've used birth control. I will use the pill because its primary function is to suppress ovulation. I won't use an IUD because its primary function is to prevent implantation.  If at anytime He wanted me to get pregnant while I wasn't paying attention.  He has the power to do so.  I would not abort a surprise. If He had opened my womb without giving me that longing first I would have been up for that.

I do believe that God wants us to know how our bodies work.  In every other area of the Bible God encourages learning and knowledge.  Why would He want us to not understand the mechanics of NFP.  That is just silly.  God has never encouraged ignorance.  Obedience yes, but ignorance NO.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I truly believe that the bible was written so long ago when the world wasn't as populated as it is now. I would love to have as many children as God would allow,but we would have to live in a cardboard box if we did that,lol.
    However, I have a friend whose mother is a Christian that belives birth control is a sin. She actually cries every month that she has her period because she feels that it was a lost baby.I'm not making fun of her or anything, but I think it's a little extreme.
    But at the same time, it does make sense.We just don't live in the times where we can just procreate without thinking about so many other aspects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I am a Christian who has no problem with it. I don't believe its going against God's will to take personal responsibility when it comes to procreation. I believe if He really did wish for you to get pregnant birth control wouldn't stop Him, so I don't think using it denies Him His right of being God or goes against Him. I think its much better to prevent a pregnancy in the first place, honestly, and after reading how the pill I'm on works, I'm confident that its okay. Birth control isn't an abortion pill, it doesn't end pregnancies, it prevents them, and I don't believe that the chance of a fertilized egg being rejected on birth control is any higher than naturally anyway. Birth control works to prevent ovulation in the first place, and then, if needed, to stop fertilization from happening - I don't think that it has to resort to the 3rd line of defense (preventing implantation) that often, if ever, if its working right...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010