Might be a silly question, but just looking for opinions.

I have a 17 month old son. We are going to be moving and having a new baby all within 2-3 weeks of eachother (completely unplanned about the move, we should have already been settled). As far as the day we move, would it be more upsetting to him if I let my SIL watch him the day and night of the move then just bring him into the new house after everything is there? Or should I keep him with me during the move and let him see whats happening. I know it will be easier for me if someone is watching him, but I don't want him freaking out too much. My husband also just went back to work, so basically its 3 big changes for him in such a short time, poor guy. Thanks for any input.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 11:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him say good bye, tell him your moving and explain to him. I would not shock him.

My five year old said: Can we bring our stuff with us???

I laughed, kids. Always prepare them for the new stuff, it makes it a little easier on them. Then let your SIL watch the him, you will get more done, and he will be prepared.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would have your SIL watch him, but at the same time do the move with him there. Just have her come over keep an eye on him while you guys pack and unpack. this way he gets involved and you have someone to watch him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with anon
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No I would let the sister watch him then get everything set up and comfortable and show him his new room when its ready with all his favorite animals and toys!
    kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We moved a lot when my oldest was little. She didn't seem to mind much. At first she kept asking about home. We just told her this is home now. She eventually got it. Same thing when my son was that age. We moved again and he did the same. I'd let your SIL watch him. Trust me, moving AND keeping up with a toddler while pregnant or just after having a baby is no fun. Been there and done both. We had my mom watch ours while we moved. She was there the first time. The other times she was at her house. They reacted the same so I don't think it matters.  Do what you feel is best for you and him.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• let you sil watch hiom. Beleive it or not, kids adjust easier then we give them credit for.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We've done this a lot since we keep moving. Have him out of the way completely. Once we thought it would be fun to bring our 14 month old into the house we had just moved out of right before we finished cleaning it... she burst into tears and ran to where her high chair usually was and said, "eat. Eat! EAT!!" Poor thing. As little as he can have to do with the packing/moving, the better. Even if you can't get everything unpacked and totally settled right away, focus on his room and the family room and get it to look like home. Even before you unpack a lot of other basic necessities. For our daughters, having a little bit of familiar to cling to right away helps. And they kind of get a kick out of the same room/different space scenario. But you're having a baby around then, too? Maybe you should watch him at your SIL's while your SIL helps move! I was 35 weeks one move and all I could do was direct traffic, anyway.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We made the mistake of packing up her room with her still there. She was a wreck, confused, scared... not sure why her toys were gone or in boxes.

Our MIL watched our 2yo the day/night we removed everything from the old house into the new place.
    Then MIL brought our 2yo to the new place and she helped us unpack all her toys into her new room.

I think the fact we let her help unpack helped immensely.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 1:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think it is all a personal choice, if you think you can handle the move and "deal" with him maybe being freaked out alittle then i would keep thim with you, because it is the last couple of weeks you have just the TWO of you, before a new baby comes. But i can tell you we moved when my daughter was 15 months old and until we got her room looking just as it did in our old house she would wake through the night, mornings, and after naps screaming! as soon as we painted it and made it look just like her old room she was back to her normal self, which was sleeping through the night and til about 9-10 in the morning! so just be prepaired that he may freak out for a little bit! good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2010