Lying

I hate being lied to by anyone. My 4 yr. old daughter lies constantly. She even just makes up stories, lies for no reason. I would love for it to stop, I've told her that it's not ok to lie to anyone, especially me, it still happens, any advice? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter has a very vivid imagination still to this day, I have learned to play with the imagination, she loves it.

Explain to her there is a time and place for your imagination, and you should learn when and how to use it. Give her examples of her lieing and imagination. My daughter would get a star everytime, she didn't lie to me, and she now at 7 uses her imagination properly. We giggle together she love making up stories.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would not yell at her, just show her the diffrence and when it is proper and not.

It took some time to understand, but now she got it. She still trys to get away with it but I nip it in the bud.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If your toddler is lying it's because someone is modeling that behavior for her. She is either observing you, her dad, or a primary care giver lying frequently. Parents think little lies are harmless, like pretending to not be home to avoid a phone call or to fib about your kid's age to get a free ticket, but these types of things teach kids that lying is acceptable.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I read an article about kids lying and it said to never put them in the position to lie...for example, if you see crayon on the wall, don't angrily ask, 'did you do this??' cause it sets her up to lie, instead say, 'I know you drew on the wall, that is not acceptable, I want you to clean it up now' kinda thing. I know that doesn't help all the issues you listed, but maybe it will help in certain situations.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010