*how am i gonna make it 5 more weeks??*

so maybe im jus venting or wanting to know if anyone else is in my situation, but i just wasnt a happy camper when i left the doc office yesterday. im 34 weeks & dr scheduled a ultrasound to see how big baby was & if an early induction was still a possibility since ive got gest. diabetes. well results are in: baby dakota is 5.5lb now & doc ISNT gonna induce me! he is saying she could easily be btw 8-8.5lb by her due date of may 23 OMG! i know i wouldnt be the 1st woman who birthed a 8+ lb baby, but as i told my doc "you're not the 1 pushing her out" i mean, im glad the diabetes hasnt affected her growth but i was kinda hoping she could be here a lil early... you know save mama from a lil pain?! is that selfish of me to want her out early??

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Kind of. Pushing the induction to get her out, I do find a little selfish. Baby needs as much womb time as possible and if you and baby are physically okay with the womb time baby needs, let baby stay there.
    I went 2 weeks overdue, i know its hard but you have to do whats best for baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yes and no. It's better to get her out so the diabetes will stop, but her lungs aren't ready yet and she could have some problems coming out this soon. Try to give her at least another two or three weeks. It will make a world of difference. In the meantime just wait it out. If the diasbetes gets worse she may still come early.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• um... kinda... babies born early are at high risk for underdeveloped lungs. I carried both of my almost 9lb children to term. It's not that bad
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 11:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• That's actually quite selfish of you. 8.5 lbs is not exactly big. It's 1 lb more than "average". Child birth isn't supposed to be painless and convenient for you. You want your baby to grow and be healthy! I had mine 4 weeks before she was due and my doctors were worried that her lungs weren't going to work like they were supposed to. It was scary! Sure I was uncomfortable in those first few weeks prior, but I wish my baby would've stayed in until she was due. Instead, I had to worry about lung function, her immune system not being up to speed, jaundice, allergies... Keep that baby in for as long as you can for the BABY'S sake, not for yours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i birthed a 9.5 pound baby. and that was my first baby, and i am very small frame! lol honestly i was so focused on gettingher out to finally meet her that i really didnt notice any pain, discomfort sure but actual terrible pain nope. and i didnt even tear! these last 5 weeks will fly by:)
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 11:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It doesn't matter how much your baby wieghs, and those ultrasound number can be off by 2 lbs. They told me my DD was 9 lbs 5-6 days before she was born at 7 lbs 7 oz. What matters is how big her head is. You think chunky arms are hard to pass. Nope, it is a properly positioned and molded head that you want. And rushing things isn't the best way to get her in the right position. Walk, just walk and lighten up! Geez!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It's not selfish just to "want" it...the end of pregnancy is miserable for most women.

It would just be selfish to "actually do" something to to cause an early induction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• that's a little selfish...my dd was 8.1 when she was born..and i felt her rolling as she came out...the pain is not that bad..and i don't do pain well at all!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• wow, i didnt expect so many of ya'll to call me selfish.... now i regret posting the question! to set the record straight, im NOT gonna intentionally do something to cause early labor- im not a careless mother to be! i want my child as healthy as possible!! im truly thankful the gest. diabetes hasnt affected her growth & im able to control it w/o medication & that ive been blessed w/a pretty normal pregnancy...even tho morning sickness was the worst! she is already head down, so im not worried about her position when it comes time for labor, nor am i so much worried about the pain; 8lb jus kinda scares me coming out! like i said in my original post, maybe im jus this way because im uncomfortable. apparently im wrong for even saying that i feel that way. i know we are all intitled to opinions, but geez i NEVER thought this many ppl would think im being a selfish girl.... maybe next time i will jus keep comments to myself!?
    mommyw2010

Answer by mommyw2010 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Momma, there aren't too many woman who enjoy the last month or so of pregnancy - that doesn't make you selfish. With my first pregnancy, during my last U/S, the tech told me that my kid was going to be in the 10-10.5 lbs range! I was terrified. However, I declined induction and ended up having her 10 days after my due date - guess what? She was only 9 lbs 2 oz. The U/S is not that accurate in many cases so don't let that worry you. Oh, and I had her without an epidural so it can be done - it'll be over soon! Just hang tight! =)
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010