Most residential areas are not zoned for cemetary useage, so you can't bury your family on your own property. But???

What if I were to buy a home with property already used as a cemetery? If there were already a small cemetery on the property is it grandfathered in and does that zoning apply?

Anyone know how that works?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• No clue. They might exhume the bodies if you requested it, but don't ask me who would pay for that! I doubt they'd force you to remove them if you didn't mind them being there though. That's just my guess.
    Anonymous

• Oh no! I want to be able to bury my family on my property! I have always loved the idea of family plots and family estates. I think it would be a blessing to buy a home with a cemetery...
    Anonymous

• I don't know about zoning but from what I understand from doing genealogy research if there is a cemetery on your land you have to make it available to the public. There are many homes that have small family plots on them.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010