Would you buy a property with a cemetery on it?

You know how old family estates tend to have small family burial plots on them. Would you buy a property with graves on it?

If so Would you be inclined to pay less or more for the property because of the graves??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't have a problem purchasing property like that. It'd be kind of neat. But I wouldn't necessarily pay more for it. If I could use that to my advantage to negotiate a lower price, I most definitely would!
    Anonymous

• No, i would not be comfortable know that there are people buried there.

If you would I think you would pay less.

Also, you never know where there where people buried right, you can be living above someone now, if you think about it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would consider it. I would be inclined to pay less becasue in many cases Family plots tend to get neglected over time and become an eyesore that takes away from the overall appearence of the home. Not to mention the sentimental family that might stop by to visit their relatives. Of course once I buy the house I would "spruce up" the graves a bit and see about providing a way for their to be access to them without it interfering with the main house.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• There are without a doubt people under my house. we are on top of Native American Burial grounds here. But I was actually asking because of a Noon News Story. A local man is being sued because he buried his son on his property which is not zoned for burials. Personally, I would pay more for land with a cemetery, but I tend to have a greater connection and greater respect for cemeteries than most. So I was wondering how "normal" people felt about this kind of thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• ick, no way. I've seen Poltergeist too many times as a kid, LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would do it. I love cemeteries and the history or ordinary people.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would definitely do it. I wouldn't pay less or more.
    My question is why answer this anonymously? It's a harmless question.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The probability of that happening around here is high. My sister is moving here soon and one of the properties we looked at had a small family plot on it. We hope to buy land soon and if there was an awesome piece of land with a cemetery on it, I would still buy it. I really don't think it would effect the price I would pay honestly.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My co-worker lived in a house in cemetary. Her father worked there and they did not have to pay mortgage orrent.It was really old.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Would not affect the price... I neither hold a higher value for, nor do I feel that it decreases value to have a burial plot present. Nor am I stupistitious.

In fact, the adjacent property to my home is a graveyard- it is smallish. Maybe 100 plots? I actually prefer that to having a neighbor directly behind me- much quieter!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2010