It's probably normal - but this new mom is freaking out!

DS was born in October (will be 6mths tomorrow) and I have noticed some very odd behavior as of recently that he has been doing. One thing is, though usually rather chatty, he has been opening and closing his mouth repeatedly while making no sound at all (the motion is if he were going "ba ba ba ba ba" several times in a row every couple hours). Another thing is when he is laying down or in his carseat he will rapidly kick his leg back and forth, but only one leg (usually his right, but I have seen him do it a few times with the left). It kicks towards the inner thigh of the other leg and then outwards very fast and for a good few minutes nonstop. These may just be normal things for a baby his age to experience, but this is all new to me and this inparticular has struck me as very odd and unnerving. Any explinations or suggestions? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first one sounds like he's just experimenting with his mouth moving. I had a Siamese cat that meowed silently. My son also used to sometimes mimic my face and he'd also mock chew. It's probably a quirk - I'd not worry.

The kicking his legs thing.. I don't know.. I'd have to see a video of it.. If it's just ONE leg at a time it's not infantile spasms or seizures or anything (it would be both legs at the same time and it'd be an unnatural looking type stiffening and raising of the legs not an obvious kick). If you're super worried take a video and show your doctor. I imagine he's just kicking his legs and maybe attempting to kick his other leg or kick something. Babies also jerk a lot, kick randomly, and generally move uncontrollably (like they look at their leg or arm like WTH!?) sometimes til they have better motor control (usually when they start crawling). It's very likely totally normal. Babies move a l
    Anonymous

• i have a 5 month old and she always has her legs kicking, and does so with one leg for a while. as for mouth movement, that's probably fine too. i'd worry only if it were to look twitchy or like a muscle spasm. otherwise your baby is just being a baby.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• *lot

Cafemom keeps cutting off my answers. It says I have more characters but it liieesss. ;)
    Anonymous

• (OP) Thanks staciandababy, I guess I'm just the type to freak out over the littlest things now that I have a baby! I'm going to bring it up to his doctor when we see him, but that wont be until May 3rd because I messed up his appointments. For me, a few weeks is enough to cause me to worry about every little thing that could possibly be wrong! Congrats on your LO btw, just a month behind my DS. The month between 5 and 6 is amazing, so much growing and learning happens!
    Anonymous

• (OP) Anon: 58 - I was worried about the chance of it being seizures since his dad is epileptic (not sure if that is passed on or not, still worries me though), but it's usually just his right leg going back and forth really quickly for a few minutes, not kicking anything but air. Maybe he is just discovering it. I really like the idea of filming it though, I hadn't thought to do that! Thank you!
    Anonymous

• babies have so much to learn and so much to do...these behaviors will most likely be replaced with new "odd" behaviors soon!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010