Do you like to sing songs with your children and do they enjoy it too?

Like nursery school songs?
I love teaching them new songs with fingerplays and such. And they seem to really enjoy it. I feel good knowing I can do stuff like that because I am a stay at home mom and they don't get the interaction some children get from going to daycare or early preschool.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try to make up funny songs for them and I also have alot of books with like silly songs, etc.

but they dont appreciate it lol.... my daughter has told me on more than one occasion that my songs hurt her ears..lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Everyday. My kids love it, they are 3, 16 months, and 3 months, and I sing the little ones a song about their name like a hundred times a day lol. Singing = learning also, infants and toddlers watch your mouth moving and that's how they learn to make and immitate sounds. Older children love to learn new songs to sing and dance to. In my opinion it's a fun, learning, and bonding experience for everyone :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• lol glamomommo...my best friend told me she used to try to sing to her daughter and every time she would just end up screaming and crying and she said she took offense to it and never sing to her anymore,LOL.
    Anonymous

• My baby girl LOVES when daddy and I sing and dance with her. She loves the Yo Gabba Gabba songs and she gets all into it dancing and tries to sing along ... she is so cute!

She gets really excited when I start to sing and dance with her or if daddy's home and he dances with us she absolutely enjoys it!!!
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• yes and I think they like it... lol.. they haven't asked me to stop but they are still young... so ask agin in a few years and the answer may change.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I did sing to my kids alot when they were little, I guess that is why they love my voice. Nobody else does. LOL

Now we dance around and sing together. They listen to every type of music. They love it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What's this all about? "I feel good knowing I can do stuff like that because I am a stay at home mom and they don't get the interaction some children get from going to daycare or early preschool." I work full time outside the home & I love to sing and do nursery rhymes with my kids. I also read to them & do all the same things a SAHM does. I think you are just trying to start trouble, so I'm not going to say any more about it. However, to answer your original question, yes I do teach them nursery school songs, and yes they enjoy it. I prefer some older songs that you've probably never heard before because they're not exactly PC in addition to traditional songs/rhymes. (i.e. Little Alabama Coon by Hattie Starr) But they've been passed down through my family across generations beginning prior to the civil war. So I continue to teach them so my children learn their heritage.
    Anonymous

• My kids both love it when I sing, especially if I act silly while doing it, and they'll both crack up and start dancing along. Usually. There are times when my 2-yr-old will come over and put his hand over my mouth and tell me no, lol. But I figure that goes with the territory. :)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My 2 year old loves songs. In fact, the other day we were going to a baseball game so I started singing, "Take me out to the ballgame..." and he said, "No, Mama! A, B, C, D..." Lol. I guess he prefers the alphabet song!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Anon :36 - I think she was saying that since her kids DON'T get the interaction of singing and learning songs from a daycare, she feels good being able to provide it to them. Nothing offensive. I also work full time, but my hubby and I both teach our son songs. It's just a fun post. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010