Nursing ALL the time

My son is 8.5 months old and the past 2 days he only wants to eat. He is nursing every 45 min day and night. He is still eating normal food same as always but constantly wants to nurse. He has never needed to eat this much even as a newborn. What could this be? Half the time I think he is just doing this for comfort and it doesn't seem like he is going through a growth spurt. Has anyone else had this? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can't visually see a growth spurt, lol

could be that or he could be getting sick or just not feeling great. i know i eat more some days. keep an eye out for any other symptoms but feed on demand, good job.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• what staci said.
    Anonymous

• Don't stress - babies do all sorts of strange things for a day or two here and there and before you usually figure out what the issue is, they just stop. Just give it another day or two and see if it subsides....obviously if any other worrisome behavior presents itself you may want to take him in the the doctor, but what you are describing doesn't sound alarming...good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• HI!
    Yes, there could be a number of reasons that baby does that.
    It could be that he is in a growth spurt and it will subside in a few days or less.
    It could be that he does just use you as a comforter. If so, it will most likely subside on it's own, but you may
    have to wean him from being so needy...that is, if it isn't a matter of him hurting,etc.
    My thoughts are that you may not be feeding enough solid foods...and are they of the right type for his age?

If he wants to eat solids, give him more healthy prepared baby food that you have made.
    I actually plan to post on my blog about feeding baby solids, but I just have not been able to get that done yet. Sorry!
    If you want to check back in a week or two...feel free to do so and ask questions there. I'll be more likely to see them there.
    I am happy to help!
    Blessings,
    Kim
    www.CanDoMom.com
    YouCanDoMom

Answer by YouCanDoMom at 1:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Sorry, Kim, disagree heartily. There's no such thing as not enough solid food for an infant...there IS a such thing as too much. Breastmilk is supposed to be the majority of baby's intake till the first birthday....solids must be healthy but only given AFTER nursing.

OP...Normal normal normal. Just go with it. Spurts can hapen at all kinds of weird times, and teething can make them do this too.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010