Federal deficit slashed by 8 percent

I should have known I'd never see this little ray of sunshine on CM, with all the "Doom and Gloom" ladies surfing around. Anyway, it is some good news. It took a long time for us to get where we are now, and it will take a long time to back to where we were. It's a great start, and if the trend continues, for the rest of the year, it would mean the annual deficit would be $1.3 trillion -- about $300 billion less than the administration's projection two months ago for 2010.

Also! I like this part: Taxes paid from corporations and withheld from individual paychecks were up February and March, compared with the same months last year, Treasury officials said Monday. This uptick reversed 21 months of year-over-year declines and, an official said, suggested that more Americans are getting back to work or earning higher salaries.

Link in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 12:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Great news!!! soon you will be filled with the skeptics though, the doom and gloomed ladies!!!!!!

Answer by older at 12:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The doom and gloomers will say it's all smoke and mirrors, lies to make us feel better. Their facts are truth, ours are smoke and mirrors.
    Anonymous

• And see....they won't repsond to this either. They CAN'T say anything negative about this so, they are at a loss.
    Anonymous

• Holy smokes! Bring on the cookies and chocolate milk! A whole 8%. That amounts to what...saving 1 square out of a case of triple size rolls of toilet paper!

Tell me the budget is BALANCED and I will do the "woo hoo" with you. Spending more than you take in is NEVER a good thing.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• And unicorns poop rainbows....
    Anonymous

• BLAME OBAMA!! ;-)

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Notice the doom and gloomers are posting as anonymous? I'd be embarrassed too.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Tell me the budget is BALANCED and I will do the "woo hoo" with you. Spending more than you take in is NEVER a good thing.

I agree with this^^ and Social Security IOU's need to be paid back to be considered balanced. I read this and noticed this is preliminary and not official numbers. So we will see how things go. Until unemployment is under control it will be hard for many to fill optimistic. I know many out of work people who have given up looking in their areas. There are no jobs and they now just simply exist on what little they have. So to those people a drop in the deficit really doesn't mean much they still know they are broke and will be for a long while. Bash me if you must just sharing my opinion.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Great! Sure it's nice when we actually see something good happening these days. But you make it sound like we are on our way to glory any day now. They government has already said there will be no big up turn in our economy through 2011. Thats 2 yrs for crying out loud. There are no jobs to be had. Our trade deficit just got larger (means we are importing more than exporting), the foreclosure rate isn't going down, Obama care WILL bankrupt Americans and the government still plans on spending more money without paying for it. This wonderful 8% reduction will not stick and it wouldn't surprise me if it "unexpectedly" just disappears in the next few months.
    Sorry if I don't find much glory it that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010