Best cell phone companies/plans?

My fiance and I are still using prepaid phones! I know, very adult. Mine actually has a month-to-month plan, so the cost is pretty low and is the same each month. Even so, we really want to get "real" phones; preferably a family plan of some sort. Of course, every cell phone company insists that their plans, rates, long distance, etc are better than anyone else's. So, I would like the input of my fellow consumers.

Something that offers unlimited texting would be good, since he usually only has time to send a quick message and/or can't talk while at work. Also, as his family lives in another state, good long distance coverage would be a definite plus.

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 12:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I switched to motorola-cheap but great for me, I pay 50.00 a month. I get unlimited minutes, text and can even go on the internet.

No annual fee, no nothing but 50.00 month.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What's really best for you is going to depend on where you live. For example, I know some people swear by T-mobile. However, their coverage is not reliable where I live nor where DH works. When his company used them, we had major issues with drop calls on along his commute. Similarly, we've had various plans through work that were good for the office location, but some had issues with that carrier from their homes - while the good coverage at their home local wasn't the best for others at THEIR respective home bases.

Your best bet is to ask locally - and amongst people working/living in areas you tend to spend the most time using your phone. Use that 'good coverage/fewer dropped calls" as a starting point.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't know about other companies but sprint sucks. They have horrible customer service. I have a lot of dropped calls.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 3:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We use Verizon and love it. As long as they keep doing what they are doing we will be staying with them. We rarely have problems with them. I do wish they had a broader selection of colorful phones but that is no biggie. The service is great and the customer service is awesome. Right now DH hast he Blackberry Tour and I have the Samsung Rogue.
    A lot of people are not happy because Verizon (like AT&T) has a mandatory fee for using the multimedia phones and such. DH pays an extra $25 a month (he gets a discount I think it is usually $30) for the Blackberry. With that he gets unlimited everything. I have to pay an
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oops my nail slipped and it posted.

I have to pay an extra $10 a month for my phone and with it I get email sent to my phone, internet access and so on. I get 25mgb of internet usage and have to pay for what I go over. People complain but its customers who caused this. People called and would complain because they did not realize that Blackberrys are constantly on the internet searching for updates, emails and so on which causes peoples bills to be very high. Either way we would have to pay the fee's. If we don't pay for individual packages then Verizon would just raise the prices all across the board.

kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• For choosing your cell phone plan,Go to a phone shop in town, tell them what you want, they can advise.Before getting your cell phone service provider,Make sure your phone is unlocked and accept that carrier,If it's restricted by other network carrier means,You will need to unlock your phone.For unlocking you can approach your current network provider or else try to buy an unlocking service from any one of the online unlocking service provider like WickedUnlock.com    I hope it will be very useful to you.

puppychellam

Answer by puppychellam at 11:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2014