Help me be unbias

Ok, I need some help. My oldest is going to a Catholic preschool. I have no problem with him learning about Christianity even though we are not practicing Christians. Then again I go to Liberty University so yeah, lol. Anyways, my MIL LOVES to send us religious books, which we do not mind. However, here is where my problem comes. The books seem bias to me. They leave out parts to make it seem like the story is more good than it really is. Some of the stories and books are just wrong (completely taken verses out of context). This is where I get upset. I get frustrated at the books. I want my sons to learn the truth which means learning the whole story, not just parts. Am I expecting too much since he is only 4 (well will be 4 in June)? Do I just need to get over it and try to be unbias? Or should I tell him the real story? HELP!

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• He is only 4 so most likely they are just giving the basic details as your child grows so does his curiousity and that is when I would suggest you would give full details.

Just the basic detail is enough at 4.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Most Christian children's books leave out details. They are more of an intro. A 4 year old can't really grasp the concept of God and religion.  If you want to fill in the gaps the feel free to.  It's your kid so educate him however you want.  But being so young he will probably enjoy the kiddie version and will be uninterested in the full version.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Read the books to your son and then talk about what you question about the stories. Books are a wonderful way to begin discussions with our kids. Also go to the library there may have additional books to add to what your MIL is giving him.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well chances are he wont understand it fully quite yet, but I agree with you if your gonna teach them. Do so with the whole story.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Speaking to you as parent to parent, if you are getting frustrated, then stop. Stick with the books that you feel are more suitable to your taste. But keep them. You are not keeping him in the dark, but rather just wait for a better maturity level, and then you can fill in the blanks.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You willingly stepped into the christianity snakepit. At least, I'm assuming that no one held a gun to your head. Don't be surprised if you get bitten. My suggestion would be to return the books or materials to her once you find out they are inappropriate and explain why you are not going to accept them into your house. And nothing would put a stop to her behavior faster than commenting that, if these are the things that are being taught to children, perhaps your son shouldn't be in the preschool. Your choice.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If they are children's books there are going to be parts left out to make the story better than it is. How many kids would like to hear the rest of the story of Jericho?? Would you like to tell your 3 year old that once the wall came down everything and everyone in sight was slaughtered?? Probably not. Might give him nightmares. Keep the stories at age appropriate levels until they are old enough to handle the whole truth.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yeah it may just be that they are "age appropriate" and some parts are purposely left out because they may not be suitable for a 4 year old. However, you are the parent and IMO it's always a good idea to 'preview' whatever your children at that age are going to be reading or watching so you can decide for yourself if you feel comfortable with the content and the message behind it. You're not expecting too much, he's your son and if the books don't meet your standards for him then don't read them to him just yet.
    Anonymous