Islamic women & head scarves??

Sorry, I know there is a name for the head scarves but i don't know it. I am only now just starting to learn about Islam. However, i have a question.

I was reading an article in this months Marie Claire (which you HAVE to read - I'll link to it) and it talked about and pictured the conservative dress that women wear. But the lady woe the article is a Muslim and a fashion designer and does not wear the head scarf...

So my question is, are there different kinds of Islam? Like Christians have demonimaitons, do Muslims have the same kind of thing? Some that are more conservative and some that aren't?? How does that work?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's the article which has really nothing to do with the question, but is an AWESOME read!

How I Survived 40 Lashes

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It called a hijab :) But, I can't answer your question, I'm not Muslim.

Anonymous

• This is my understanding of it through some studying of Islam and watching History Channel specials on it.

It is a personal choice. Some wear it; some don't. Some feel it to be necessary; some don't. Some wear the full out cover. Others just wear a very small hijab. The whole point of it is modesty. In Islam, one is suppose to be modest. Some think that a hijab helps; others think it is over the top and/or unnecessary.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I knew it was a hijab... somewhere in my tiny brain I knew that... UGH!!

Thanks ladies!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Don't know the answer to your question - but wanted to say thanks for the link. I'm glad I paused long enough to read it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I read the article. It infuriates me to know the way that women and young girls are dominated in such ridiculous ways and she was lashed for this?

I agree with purple ducky because I watched the History Channel too. In the special that I watched, the hijabs popularity is returning and being worn by mostly young women. The older generations of women were forced to wear it when they were younger.....and so now, the older generations dont wear it because it liberates them. Pretty interesting.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Thank you for sharing this article
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Being Muslim myself I can say for myself that I do not wear a head scarf (hijab). Its a personal choice, some will wear just the hijab and some will completely cover everything...meaning they will wear a burqua or a total body covering. I wouldn't say that there are different "types" of Muslims BUT my opinion is that we all have our ways of following and intrepretations. For example, I wear all Western clothing, but if there is a wedding or a family gathering or whatever I will wear Indian clothing... :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Thank you for sharing the article. I think she is one smart young woman who survived to become a self empowered person.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We cover our bodies aside from our face and hands when in public or around men we would be able to marry because Allah swt commanded us to protect our modesty. So many people focus on us covering our hair but "hijab" is the ENTIRE package of covering our body in modest loose fitting clothing. Hijab is a mercy and blessing for Muslim women. Muslim men also have a dress code, they are cover their body from the naval to the knee and be modest in their dress as well. Hijab is a requirement, no ands ifs or buts, HOWEVER Allah swt has given mankind freewill and if a man or woman chooses to violate hijab that is between the indidual and Allah swt. I get quite offended when people bash hijab. I converted from Christianity to Islam and I will never forget what it felt like for my value to be dependent on my sexual appeal it was degrading. My hijab liberates me from that horrid cycle I love my hijab. Any questions feel free to ask.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 4:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2010