my 17 month olds foot is getting stuck in the railings of his crib.. any suggestions to stop?

my sons foot is getting stuck at night in between the railings in his crib in different spots. there is a bumper but it gets pushed down. should i use 2 boarders or convert his crib into a toddler bed?? thanks for your help i don't want him to get seriously hurt and me not hear him scream and cry.

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 12:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you don't think he's ready for a toddler bed yet I would try bumpers first. I wouldn't covert his bed just for this -- because won't the bars still be there on 3 sides anyway?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• we used a net that was made especially for that. It was SORTA like this, but was only on the sides and ends.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/6372421/reviews.htm
    Heather_Rayne

Answer by Heather_Rayne at 1:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• To prevent it would be putting him a in a toddler bed.

When my kids first started in a toddler bed I put pillows down, it is usually low, but I was nervous. :)

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• yeah im afraid if i put him in a toddler bed he will roll right out or try to jump out lol. i think im going to try a net of something of that nature.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'd personally switch! DD was doing that at 13 mos except who whole limb would be tangled in the bar, out on bar and in another! She was turning purple at times so I just switched her!!! A neighbor had given us a toddler bed so I didn't just convert her bed, I gave her a new one and she STILL loves it at 2 yrs old. She's been jumping off it for a while (i think it started at like 18 mos) but it's 3 inches off the ground. She fell out the first night and never again! If you are worried, you can just put the mattress on the floor until you feel he's ready to have a frame again!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534464&cmSource=Search

These are mesh bumpers.....thought you might want to take a peek.  17 months seems young for a toddler bed, but every child is different.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• 17 months is young for a bed. (We had to move our son at 22 months when he climbed out but it was tough. He actually use to intentionally sleep with his feet sticking out between the bars..) As others pointed out, converting your crib to a toddler bed won't solve your problem since the bars are still there. I'd try a crib tent or other mesh bumpers that will limit the problem. If that doesn't work, you probably need to move to a bed. Personally, we completely skipped the toddler bed and went right to a regular bed. If you're concerned about height, just put a mattress right on the floor.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would put him in his toddler bed. We moved my son to his at 16 months because he was climbing out. He's never fallen out of bed and we've had no problems.
    You can get a mesh rail so that you don't have the same problem again....
    http://www.babyage.com/products/brhh01_dex_products_dex_high_hinge_bed_rail.htmcp=goog15464&utm_source=goog&utm_medium=Default&utm_campaign=15464
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The same thing happened to my son and later found out the crib was recalled. It was one of those 3 in 1 cribs.

Anonymous

• we switched our son at 17 months old into a toddler bed its so low to the ground that if he falls out it doesnt hurt but if u really arent comfortable witha toddler bed yet id get a bumper
    angelicab4l

Answer by angelicab4l at 10:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2010