Camping? :-S Ulg...

Ok, ladies. I HATE CAMPING. I hate everything about it. I hate bugs and snakes and spiders and little gross animals, and the smell of fire and sleeping in a tent, and rain.. Just everything.. But DH loves it. And the ENTIRE rest of my family loves it (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc.) And I feel horrible because I can't stand going, but I don't want to be the only one in my entire family to be excluded from events and such because I don't go...
Any suggestions on how to make it more enjoyable.. or at least a little less miserable.. ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you have the money, buy a pop up camper instead of a tent. Cheaper than regular sized camping trailers and easier to travel with but bigger and more cozy than a tent with some homelike comforts of beds,kitchen,sink,stove,microwave.
    I love camping. We had to sell our camper last year for financial reasons but I can't wait until we get to buy another one!!
    Anonymous

• i love hiking and nature, but i want to sleep indoors in a bed. i'd just stay home or go out and deal with it unless you can do both.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'm with you. I did manage to make a compromise a few years ago. I rented cabins for us so I at least had a regular bed. It wasn't great, but at least I wasn't completely miserable the whole time.
    Anonymous

• If you cant afford a trailer, at least get a tent with enough room to move around and a NICE aribed to sleep on.....Im telling you, it will make all the difference in the world!
    Also, plan your meals as much as you can ahead of time. I usually cook almost everything before we go, so all I need to do it heat it up and that saves mea lot of headache. You can make meals, like sloppy joes for example, and put it into the large ziplock bags, freeze it "flat" and you can put a lot into a small cooler.
    PREPARING makes it into a fun trip, because all you need to do is sit back and relax...bring as many paper products as possible so you dont need to do many dishes.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Also, my hubby always gets up with the kids and makes them pop-tarts and hot cocoa (breakfast of champions, right? but hey, were camping) and I get to sleep for an extra hour or take a shower on my own. Then, if we want "hot breakfast", we have time to make something without all the kids bugging us because they are hungry. It has worked out well for us :)
    For the fires, we alwyas buy the "starter logs" so that I can start one by myself if hubby is gone for some reason (fishing!) ~ I dont like being cold and waiting for him!
    Bring LOTs of extra layers...even if you think it will be hot, because you never know. Never leave home without sunscreen and bug repellent. And bikes are always a good idea if you can find a way to transport them.
    I have a ton of ideas.....When we got married, I didnt have a clue, but now (21 years later) I have discovered a few tricks to make it better :)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i hate camping too unless we have a fire pit and roast marshmellows and make smores right outside my house on my yard!!!

i wouldnt settle for anything less then a rented cabin...ill never go camping again unless we do a cabin.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Christyg, how do you shower?!?!?! That is one of the WORST things about camping - no shower!
    Anonymous

• Ha, and cabin?! LOL I'm talking camping like deep in the woods.. no cabins out there. :-(
    Anonymous

• i can't really help you...for us it is my dh that hates the camping! if he gets to take a friend and can drink, then he enjoys himself. he is such a child!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We usually stay in state campgrounds that have pay showers.......If you are dry camping, you can heat up some water on the campstove and use it to sponge-bath and wash your hair. We also used to use the big rubbermaid tubs to give the kids a bath when they were little. Boil the water, and add enough cold until it is the right temp. In a particularly dusty compground, they washed, pjs, and STRAIGHT to bed so they didnt get dirty until the next AM.....If you are camping in a remote area, you can always get inot the river too.
    Ask you extended family how they do it....some have the little portable showers, but I never thought they were worth it.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010