Any tips for flying with a squirmy 11 month old???

I flew with her when she was 5 months and I was TERRIFIED. Other moms kept telling me that a 5 month old was so much easier to fly with than an older baby and of course I thought they were all crazy.....well I believe them now! My dd HATES sitting still I can't imagine what I'll do with her on a plane for 3 hours. Oh, and we're sharing a seat!!! AAH.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmmm...... did I detect a sniffle? Maybe some benedryl for that runny nose ;) LOL, just kidding!! I wish I had some real advice for you. Just wanted to say Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Try and schedule the flight around nap time. Make sure you provide him something to suck at takeoff and landing. If it starts off bad, its not likely it will get better, so hurt ears during takeoff are someting to avoid. RUN RUN RUN RUN him tired before he gets on the plane, and if there is a layover, make sure he gets time to play. Walk up and down the aisle - show him the galley.

Does he watch TV? bring a DVD player.

Ask for the bulkhead if possible, so midflight he can play at your feet.

Just be mentally prepared. Get a good night sleep, and eat well in the morning. If all else fails, know that the nightmare will end, and no one is going to die from your son's annoyances, haha. Just as long as youre doing your best to entertain him and care for him during the flight, youre fine. If he is fussy anyways - whatever. Youre doing your best.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh and if you are going to do the benedryl trick - try it at home first. My son gets hyper and irritable when he has to take benedryl (ive only given it for allergies), but i know that if i tried it for a flight, it would be a disaster.

However - if they do get sleepy, its NOT that bad of an option. Kids dont like flights either. Theyre boring and stressful. Sleeping through them is the best, whether your an adult or child. As long as you arent overdosing your kid, and using it to get them to sleep every night (causing a dependency), i personally dont see a problem with it.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• all great advice from redderbedder!!

Good Luck with your flight!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2010