We called animal control on our new neighbors dog! :x

Ooops. lol
This past Saturday, my SO came in the house telling me there was a huge dog in our yard.He is deathly afraid of dogs because he was bit pretty bad befor eand still has the scars,poor guy. Anyway,I looked out the door and across the yard, there was indeed a large dog eating up our garbage.It seen me looking at him and it stood up,tail and ears at alert. Okay, the dog scared me a little too,lol. So I called the police.They said they couldn't page animal control unless I had the animal on a leash or contained somehow.Yeah, okay.So I bucked up,pushed back my fears and called the dog to the deck and it came tromping over.I cracked the door, it smelled my hand and wagged his tail..old boy wasn't so bad afterall.Anyway, finally animal control got paged and the dog was picked up.Couple hours later,new lady from across the street and her 4y/o dd came by pretty mad talked to the SO, I guess it was there dog.Should I go over

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Pets

• You shouldn't have to apologize given that they were the ones not keeping track of their dog. But, if you want to remain neighbourly perhaps a note would be better. They will have had time to cool off and at least you can say you tried if they don't respond.
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 1:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• (cont..) there and apologize to them? I do feel bad about it. But the tag on the dog had a Michigan telephone number.We did call and left a message on the voicemail. When the guy finally called back, the dog was gone and the guy acted like he had no cluse as to how the dog got in this state (we live in Ohio). It was really strange.lol.
    Anyway, maybe I should go over there and say I'm sorry? Even the little girl was yelling at my SO,lol.
    Anonymous

• That sounds really fishy to me. Maybe its something you want to stay out of but I agree with the decision of calling animal control on a dog that appeared to be lost or stray. They are just probably angry for other reasons than you calling animal control. It wouldn't hurt to apologize just to keep the peace in the neighborhood but after that I would steer clear.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You can if it would make you feel better.... I would just tell them that it wasn’t personal and that you were trying to be helpful since the dog seemed lost, had out of town tags, and was eating your garbage.

How apologetic you should be just depends on whether or not you think you want to be really "friendly" with this new family. Also, if you are too apologetic, then they might not get the idea that they need to keep that large dog in THIER yard and out of yours!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You don't need to, they are the ones who should say sorry. There dog digged through your garbage, scared your self and your kid.

They had no idea where the dog was shame on them.

If you want to be the better person and get it off your chest so it is not in your head all the time, then saying sorry never killed anyone. They say it helps relieve stress.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Well, maybe it cost them money to get doggie out of lockup? I don't know but you could always walk over, not apologize but explain what you thought (stray dog) about the dog eating garbage, running around unattended. Tell them that had you known it was their dog, you'd not have called.???
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• no...leave it alone, they will be more cautious as to whether or not to be leaving thier dog loose like that or escaped. if it was going through your garbage it will go throug it again or someone else's. the nieghbor's should know better and take better responsibility.

i lived in a house where the neighbor actually had a very mean big dog, it did bite me on the leg and the darn dog got loose alot so all the nieghbor kids had to run into a safe house until the dog was home again, the dog never got taken away until a little girl got bit then the police were called. im glad the idiot dog got taken away, we shouldnt have to live in fear like that and also in your case, should take better care and responsibility of it especially in town.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It never hurts to have neighbors as friends or at least good standing, I would apologize, but you really had no way of knowing where the dog came from or if it belonged to them. I have had similar situation, but being the animal lover I am I would never call animal control unless I was afraid of the dog for some reason, and even then I would ask around the neighborhood for the owner, calling ac would have been my last option.

Answer by older at 1:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• someone called animal control on our dogs and i suspect it our neighbors from next door. i never got an apology and i don't really care. i wasn't mad though although i thought it was pretty stupid of them to of done it when they don't do it anymore and my dogs get out quite often. i think they thought our boxer who has a long tail was a pit for they were just scared. it would be nice if you explained but don't expect for them to apologize for their behavior. which i think is uncalled for
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010