Sippy cups?

I'm trying to get my DD to drink from a sippy cup but all she does after a few seconds of sucking is play with it and chew on the spout. She has no teeth yet so I'm not real worried about her tearing it off but she is a vicious biter.
Should I wait longer to introduce it or does anyone have an tips?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she?
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 1:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• How old is she? I gave dd one at 5 mos and she chewed on it too but it's more exploration! The more you offer it to her the better she will get the hang of it and then she'll love it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• She's 6 months.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My lil girl will be 7 months soon & she's had a sippy cup since she was about 5months. She's breastfed exclusively(sp?) and would not take a bottle if her life depended on it!! She chews on hers sometimes also, but she likes the ones will the straws. They're very convenient & she does actually drink from it. She'll get the hang of it, so keep giving it to her!!
    mandi0986

Answer by mandi0986 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• 6 months is still a little young for a sippy. Be patient and let her take to it when she's ready. I introduced mine to a sippy at 7 months. I set it out with water all the time and they'd sip it when they wanted. By the time they were 9 months they were sippy cup pros. I also don't ever use the soft spouts...they just chew those to pieces. My favorites are the Playtex and Gerber hard spout sippies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It's fine to introduce it now and let her play with it as she's doing. It does take time for them to get used to it. I'd offer water with solid feedings, and really not much else for now. Once she gets the hang of it, you can use it for formula, breast milk, etc. if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I gave mine sippy cups as soon as they could sit up well (5-6 months) and let them play with it, sip on it, "bite" it. It only took a couple months for them to get the idea.

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• what are you putting in the sippy cup? is it empty? i think i want to buy one today, that could be a fun toy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I just put a little water in it. i have mixed feelings about juice so just water or breast milk for her lol.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010