Marriage counseling

Does marriage counseling work? How do you find the right one? And what about costs? What if only one of you is willing to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes that is all it takes, my man does not want to go.

They are helping me hopefully I don't leave him. (LOL)I love him so much and am willing to do everything to make it work, but my happiness comes first and he needs to understand that. He knows I go, and supports me. Hopefully, one day he will join in. Wishful thinking.
    Anonymous

• google "Laugh your way to a better marriage"

Better than counseling. most men wont go for it cause it turns into man ego bashing.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If only one of you is willing to go, then it won't work. Marriage is about BOTH of you working on it. If only one of you is working on it, it will breed resentment and the other one isn't admitting their part to the problems that lead to counsiling in the first place.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with Jademom07...only I went and my STBX would NOT go and I am divorcing him. Problems take work and committment from both parties and if one's not willing...it's not to be salvaged.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't agree that going by youself doesn't work. A good therapist will help you set boundaries in the marriage. Also sometimes if you focus on improving yourself the spouse will change in reaction. For example if you learn to express yourself in a constructive way, the spouse has to talk to you differently eventually or they just look like a fool. I do think that sometimes counseling alone can make you realize you really don't want to be in the relationship anymore as well.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2010