I am FURIOUS with my MIL !!!!!

My SS lives here every Thursday - Sunday. We have joint custody and so far in that aspect EVERYTHING has been fine. We have been married for 4 years and nothing like this has ever come up. My SS has alot of emotional problems so we have never gotten a baby sitter or anything but since he's getting older, we have started leaving him with one of our parents for an hour or so while we get groceries or go to dinner. ( Very rarely does that happen ) bceause we date on Mondays, but anyways. We took him to my MIL house and he was telling her that MY mother bought him new shoes. but his words were. "Grammy bought these" and showed her the shoes. She said , who is that? And he said, Mama K 's mom. And my MIL flipped out. Her name is Dana, not grammy. Don't you ever call her that over here! I flipped the hell out !! I was like, excuse me? And her reply was. I'm the only grandma this boy needs. Not some "step" grandma. ... cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Well as you can imagine, I was pissed because I am just "step" momma!!!! I said, don't you talk to him like that and he can care about anyone he wants to. ( All the while, my husband is just standing there.. too afraid to say anything) and she said. I don't like your mother because she tries to act like this is her grandchild. He's not. He's mine and I dont' appreciate what she's MAKINg him call her! I told her as nicely as possible that he decided to call her that and bceause of how she was acting, she lost all priveledges to get to keep him anymore.. and she threatened to sue me! I HATE HATE HATE her!! I can't believe that. What would you do
    Anonymous

• slap my husband
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would be pissed off too!! My kids don't have any grandparents at all, so I welcome any older adult to take my kids under their wing and show them the kind of warm love and compassion that any grandparent worth their salt freely shares with small children. It is a shame that your MIL is SO insecure about herself that she is going to get mad that some one else was kind to her grandson. How selfish is that?!

Grrrrrrr!!!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Okay, I need some clarity here... who is the actual parent of the child? Your current husband? And is this his mother?
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• be really mad too. the boy has enough to worry about without his bio grandma making things harder. if he wants to call your mom grandma then let him. so what if he cares about someone else. she isnt stealing him.
    Anonymous

• sue you?? oh please!! tell her next time. its her job to make herself the most loved one if she is that worried...also tell her what kinda grandma minds their grandbabies being spoiled by other...she needs to grow up instead of thinking "only she can be important"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• That's crazy! My son calls everyone grandma :-) Anybody who looks like a grandma is grandma. My mom thinks its cute. She says a baby can't have to many grandparents. IDK I think maybe it just shocked her or something. Maybe you should call her now that things have had a chance to cool down a little.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 1:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i am so sorry your mil is crazy! this is really your husbands job to deal with. mil's and dil's can be very crazy relationships. she should be happy that your son has so many people to love him. try not to take it personally. try to take a step back...she is jealous, and that is her issue. you be the best mommy you can be...and let your hubby deal with the crap : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'd politely but firmly tell her that the child can call her what he wishes and will continue to do so. He is loved by many people, not just her. Then I'd give my hubby some shit for not saying a word. I actually left my ex-fiance for that kinda thing...he never spoke up to his mother!!
    Anonymous

• What a bitch! I would be pissed. At her and my husband. He should have said something. Does your SS not have a grandma on his mother's side or does she really think that she should be the only grandma? My oldest son has 4 grandmas(no greats included). They include my mom, his father's mom, my boyfriend's mom, and my boyfriend's stepmom. My mom says a child can never have too many grandmas. My younger ones only have 3 grandmas but that's because my oldest's grandma on his father's side is more like your MIL.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 3:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2010