constipation in a 3 month old

my baby has been on enfamil gentalease for over round 2 months now and we havent had any problems she has been goin to the bathroom just fine everyday ...i started putting 2 tablespoons of cereal in her bottle before bed for a month now and again she has been goin to the bathroom just fine...acouple of days ago she became constipated, she screams and strains when she goes...i dont know what to do or what could cause it...i gave her 2 kayro bottles yesterday but they didnt reallly help because this morning she screamed while she was goin to the bathroom....i tried callin her doc today but no one is there so i was hopin i could get some advice on here til i can get in touch with them...im a new mom so go easy on me please

doodlebug10

Asked by doodlebug10 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you can't reach the doctor and you trust your pharmacy call them. It is difficult for the baby and it sounds like you did everything right. They might offer some other suggestions, and usually on your insurance card they have a help line.

Good luck.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• try giving her 2oz of pear juice. My first was a preemie and i had to give it to her every day so she could go do to the formula she was on.

Phianabismoma

Answer by Phianabismoma at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• when my son was constipated at that age our DR told us to give him a few sips of gerber prune juice & it worked immediatley.
    but i dont understand why your putting cereal in her bottle? it does absolutley nothing, and rice cereal makes them constipated. you should just stop that, its a waste of time - started feeding her cereal & fruit with a spoon in a month & a half.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• When my son (who also is on Gentlease, but wasn't getting cereal that young) would get constipated I would lay him on his back & pump his legs (bent at the knee you bring their legs to their tummy & then stretch them out straight again) for about 5-10min twice a day. The activity, since they can't do much of it on their own, will help move things along. If that doesn't help, if you feel comfortable with it & have checked with the doc about it, put one tablespoon of apple or pear juice (the 100% juice kind, nothing less than 100% juice) in 2-3oz of water. This should also help move things along, but that was something I waited until about 4months to do because I was still unsure on whether or not I was going to be giving him juices early (every mom has their research to do & choices to make, make sure you know what your decisions about stuff like that are before just taking random advice - never compromise your gut feelings).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• First, stop the Karo. It's a botulism risk. Their website specifies that it's not intended for infants. Second, when she goes, what is the poop like? Hard? Soft? Dry? Loose? Also, have you tried to stop the cereal and see if it helps? I know the symptoms started weeks after the cereal, but you never know, and it can't hurt to try.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think all babies struggle with constipation every now and then, so it's good to learn how to think about it early on. My guess is that it's the cereal (rice?)... it has that constipating effect on many kids. My son was 5 months old when he started eating cereal and first got constipated - I would put pear juice or prune juice (about 1 ounce) in each bottle until he loosened up. But check with your doc about giving her fruit juice when she's this young. You could also just stop the cereal for a while to see if she returns to normal (unless there is a good reason why she needs it). Sometimes just having lots of fluids seems to help. I'd expect that she will get constipated every now and then when she starts eating more, so you may want to just watch her poop consistency - when it starts getting a little thicker than normal, give her a little preemptive prune juice (before it gets real hard).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would stop the cereal. Start it again in 2 months, but add fruit when you give it (with a spoon). She doesn't need cereal now. You are just messing up her stomach.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• STOP THE KARO!!! Karo can be deadly in infants and is NOT recommended!!!

Stop the cereal! Baby's stomach obviously is not ready for food introduction and is telling you in the only way it can. There is no benefit for baby and obviously it is causing harm so please stop the cereal!

Anonymous

• i finallly talked to the dr and she said to try a kayro bottle and if that didnt work than try giving 1oz water mixed with 1oz apple or pear juice. i've never heard of kayro being deadly to a baby and my dr recommended it. as far as her taking cereal she has been on the cereal for awhile now....the dr seems to think there is nothing wrong with it...but thanks to everyone that answered to my question i really appreciate it!
    doodlebug10

Answer by doodlebug10 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Doctors unfortunately can give outdated and harmful info. : (
    Many doctors still recommend the corn syrup for constipation, but this is a practice we would like to see stopped. The reason is, in recent years, studies have shown that corn syrup *can* harbor botulism spores, which are a deadly toxin produced by bacteria. While adult immune systems may be able to handle the minute amounts that could be present, a baby would be at a very increased risk.
    When I worked in the WIC, a lot of moms said "the doctor told me to" or "my mom did it, and I never got sick" or something to that effect. I think many doctors are not aware of the risk, as the research is fairly recent. Furthermore, there is only a *chance* that the spores are present, they are not *always* in the corn syrup. That is why many moms and their moms have tried this without any harm, but I think it's a chance that is not worth taking with your baby's health.
    Anonymous