Is it your responsibility to help your child financially through college?

How do you feel about that? I'm still paying off student loans, it would have been nice to have help with that. My parents paid for my brothers, and two sisters' tuition, books, and most living expenses.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Yes, I absolutely believe it is our responsibility to put our kids through college.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 4:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• yes i will pay for my childrens college.
    My mother and I had an agreement that she would pay for my college, and living expenses and things until i was done with college and she did & still does.
    It only makes sense to me because theyres really no way to support yourself until your down with college and so why would i bring children into this world, make them struggle and then not help them to acheive all that they can.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think its my responsibility to help my children become financially responsible enough to know how to take care of themselves. Money wise..hell..we have enough struggle with our bills and such to raise them .There are loans out there for students, scholarships,awards,grants,financial aid and such to help them pay for college. However, I would allow them to live at home while they attend college or if they choose to live in an apartment or on campus, I would still help provide for thier cost of living,such as food,bills,and rent.
    Anonymous

• I don't feel it's my responsibility, but I think I should help out as much as I can. Whether it means supporting her while she goes to community college, or giving her enough money for books. College is tough, and it's ever tougher when you have to work full-time.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If you can afford it , why not? all my three kids went to Universities without loans, one had a scholarship and the other two have a bachelor on me, one of those is working on her masters and going for a phd, those two she has loans for. It was my pleasure to be able to help them out, they never took advantage of our generosity and have always been grateful for what we did. If your kids are still young, paying for pre paid college is an absolute must, it freezes tuition and at the rate it is going it will be a plus. You can also get your money back if not used for education to pay for living expenses or whatever. It does not earn any interest but the money you will be saving in frozen tuition is priceless!

Answer by older at 2:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• even**
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I don't think parents have to. But it sure is nice if they can.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think it is a parents responsibility to HELP a child. I have 2 in college now. One is going solely on loans. We should have built in the savings for college. I feel bad because the economy is sooo bad and will not be getting any better for our kids anytime soon. We co signed for 3 or 4 loans already and when the lawsuit we have settles we will pay those off. At least that will help. My son knows he has to work and do his part though. My daughter is still using the bonds her grandpa left her but they will be gone after next sememster and she will have to get loans. It's hard for everyone.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No. It's not my responsibility. It's a choice and I told my kids that I would not be paying for their college and that if they want to go they better work hard in school and try to get a scholorship.

My reasoning is that almost all of my friends went to college and only one of them are doing what they went for. Over half of them dropped out and didn't finish. Two of them took their tuition money and partied with it and didn't even go to one class. Why on earth would I pay for an education that my kids might not ever use?

My husband and I have talked about it and have agreed to pay for their college if they make a goal and stick to it. It looks like my oldest will be headed to trade school instead of college, and it's to soon to tell with the younger ones.
    Anonymous

• we don't plan on paying for their college. we do plan on helping as much as we can. i think community college makes perfect sense. we live near a few universities that the kids could drive to and still live at home, to keep costs down. dh thinks they should have that college experience, but i don't want to pay $20,000 a year so my kids can party : )
    i payed for my college, i worked before and during. the cost keeps going up, so i don't want to stick that all on my kids either.
    i do know one woman that said (now that her daughter is nearly done with college) in retrospect, they should have saved cash for retirement and then borrowed money for education because you can't get a retirement loan like you can get an educational loan.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010