How can I get my 6 month old to stop screaming?

Its only been the last couple of days that hes been doing this. He'll just be calm and just playing with his toys and all of a sudden he'll scream, and its not just a little scream its more like an ear piercing really loud scream. Then like 5 to 10 seconds later he'll do it again, and then again. Since he's only 6 months old he doesn't understand "Shhhhhh!" or "Be quiet!" I'm running out of ideas and nothings working.
So does anyone have any ideas...please, he's driving me nuts.

crazybeetle1148

Asked by crazybeetle1148 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prepare for a bashing
    Anonymous

• He might have gas, usually they scream like that for a reason-and that is what it sounds like to me.

You have to really watch him when he screams, is his tummy hard, is he trying to release gas. Rub his belly, push his knees into his belly-they should have taught you how to do that. I use to hold my daughter across my knees and pat her back, she would burp. :)

Good luck
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Maybe he has a new ear infection? Or gas? Or maybe he is just discovering that he can make a loud noise? It is hard to say. Years ago when I had little kids, they usually were sick or had a tummy ache. But they didn't scream, just get fussy.Otherwise they were pretty easy going and cheerful. SO,I would check his temperature first. If he isn't feeling sick, than I guess you will have to just try to be patient. Good luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• He's 6 months old...this isn't a discipline issue. He is screaming because he needs something. Either he's hungry, gassy, needs changing, is too hot or too cold, sick, or wants to be held.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh, forgot to add that he could be tired/over stimulated or frustrated. As his mom, it is your job to figure out why he's crying and tend to his needs.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son started this at about 7 to 8 months old. It wasn't because he needed anything as much as it was he wanted attention. He does it when I am cleaning, cooking, going to the bathroom, or taking care of my other kids. He also does it when his brothers have a toy he wants. I put him in his bed until he is done with his fit. I always make sure he isn't hungry and that his diaper is changed.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think he just realized he can scream and he likes making a loud noise. He also likes your reaction. I think it's a stage. Is he in pain or just screaming for the fun of it?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If it's a playful scream like he's excited and having a good time, then you can't and shouldn''t do anything. Babies have a high pitch happy squeal they do when they are excited. I missed it when my babies got a little older and stopped doing it. A couple of days ago my husband and I were watching baby videos of our now 3 yr old back when she squealed and clapped when she was having fun. It was so sweet and we really miss that phase.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2010