At what age do toddlers have the feeling that they have to pee and poop?

At what age do toddlers have the feeling that they have to pee and poop? I am trying to see if it is time to start potty training my toddler.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good question. Let's ask them.
    Anonymous

• I think it varies. I have 2 1/2 year old boy/girl twins. My girl knows in advance, and my boy doesn't know until after the fact.
    Anonymous

• They say to not to start before 18 mos, and usually the first signs of potty training are from 18-24 mos. If you want to know more you can go to http://www.parents.com/ or http://www.parenting.com/ too! I forget which one, but one has a quiz that can help determine if you LO is ready or not!

07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My first daughter started hiding in the bathroom when she needed to poop around 18 months, but she didn't learn to notice she was about to pee until 24 hours into the potty training process (we went cold-turkey to underwear) at 19 months. My second daughter, on the other hand, started coming to me telling me BEFORE she had to poop around 13 months and before she had to pee (of course not reliably, but about once a day) by 15 months. Some kids can tell really early. Our second daughter was in underwear around the clock by 17.5 months. She still had accidents, but there was absolutely no way I was going to keep putting a diaper on her with that kind of bodily awareness. Whatever age your child is, you can always start talking to him or her about what goes on in the diaper, and what you do in the bathroom. That will help give your child the vocabulary, but look for body language, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• my son is about 2 and not very verbal, so the communication is hard. He says "ewww" when he poops, and when I ask if he'd like to use the potty he says "no", so i'm going to wait a little longer and hope he will be more verbal.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I read 16-18 months and that is when we started potty training. It was the perfect time for us.
    Anonymous