Should you lose the belly fat before toning it?

My SIL told me that you need to get the fat off your belly before you start really working out your stomach. She said if you have fat around your belly & do lots of stomach exercises, it will make it pooch out more. Any truth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• it will pooch out a little more, but lean muscle helps you burn calories just by being there. You should do a mixture of both Cardio (concentrate there) and muscle building.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• you definatly need to do cardio more often, but you should be toning also. you need to do both. you do not need to loose the fat BEFORE you tone, you need to do them both at the same time. i just baught the biggest loser cardio max DVD and abs of steel DVD. the carido max is great, i love it, the abs of steel is okay, not my favorite though.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• In one word, NO, because like a couple of the above posters said, you need to be doing BOTH at the same time. The thing about toning is that you do have abdominal muscles right now but you may or may not be able to see them and their definition....so toning WHILE at the same time burning fat is necessary. I am facing this right now...I was concivnced that I had to do as many crunches and ab workouts as I could but in reality, I know now that I have to do it ALL...I have learned SO much from reading Oxygen Magazine, just an FYI...it has been my saving grace as far as health and working out goes.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 5:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If you lose the fat first, then decide to work out later, you'll have a flabby mess. You have to tone, while you lose weight (AT A STEADY PACE) for you not to have extra skin and stuff. Your body needs time to catch up with your weight loss.
    Anonymous