give me tips on potty training my daughter...all tips welcome!

So my daughter was closer to being potty trained at 11 months than she is now at a few weeks away from being 2! i want to try to have it done by 2!!! we started at 11 months but then had to pack to move and because we werent really doing it hard core, we got side tracked and now we are back to doing it. She is such a smart little girl, and i know she knows where to go, and that she is ready but she will pea about the size of a quarter and then hold the rest for her daiper! so any tips on how you do it would be great! thanks!!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't agree that she's not "ready" just because she's not doing it. That's the circular reasoning that so many people use to justify the bizarre cultural practice that we've moved into (very recently, I might add) of not training until 3 or even 4 years old! I woudl also ditch the diapers and avoid pull-ups, too. Just move her tot he potty if she starts having an accident in her underwear (you may want to do just undies and a shirt and stay home for a few days, so you can be really consistent). Each time remind her pee pee goes in the potty. If she's holding it for her diaper, then that means that she knows how to hold it -- that's good! Check one thing off your list. Now you just have to get her to associate pee with the potty and help motivate her to get there when she has to go. I bet it won't take more than a week as long as you stay away from the diapers. Both my kids trained this way really young, no problems.
    Anonymous

• Oh and we already do the whole rewarding with a piece of candy and we just started a sticker chart today!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Potty training shouldn't be a chore. If she is holding it so that she pees in her diaper, then she isn't ready.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• But then again, come to think of it. My DD didn't want to go on the potty chair that we originally got. Once we got the dora potty, she couldn't wait to go. She would even camp out on it to watch the tv. I would have to tell her to get off of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Get rid of the diapers! Stay away from pull-ups until bed time! Dd was doing great at 18 mos, then I put her in pull-ups and she regressed! Now she's 2.5 and knows when she has to go but every time I put her in a pullup it's like she forgets it all! I put her in panties or let her run naked around the house and the more often we do that the more she pees on the potty and we have fewer accidents. But putting a pull up on her is like saying "its ok to pee now" and switching back and forth is very confusing! Take the diapers away and keep them away is my advice! You might try those vinyl pants they sell and put panties underneath because they won't leak like panties but won't absorb like diapers! We haven't tried them yet but I'm really leaning towards that for going out and such!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010