What age did you let your kid drink out of a real cup all the time by themselves?

I've looked at development sites and they say by age two!! And I don't know if it is just my kid, but seriously, she is almost two and there is not a chance in day light I'm giving her a cup of anything w/o a lid on! What we've been doing is giving her cups that are more like tumblers.. they have just a hole in the top, so she doesn't suck on it like a bottle or a sippy, but it still has a lid..

What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm pretty sure mine will be drinking out of a cup with no lid by the time he's 2, seated at the table anyway. We've been giving him sips out of "real" cups since he was about 11 months old and at 16 months, he's really good at it.

Answer by missanc at 3:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• my son is 4 and still uses sippys, he is learning to use the big kid cup tho, he uses the big kid cup at meal times and snack times when we are all sitting at the table together, but while he is running around or if we are in the car then he still uses a sippy. At 2 years old he was totally not ready for it!
    Anonymous

• Dd is 2.5 and started understanding how to drink out of a cup without a lid at 2! She could never understand putting her bottom lip underneath the edge or not sticking her tongue in there! lol but now we give her a reg cup, however she can only have it on the tile...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You might want to make a distinction between being able to drink from a regular cup vs actually doing it on a regular basis. By around 2 my son was able to drink from a regular cup. However, since when he got bored or mad, he tended to flip it over or throw it, I didn't let him do it very often. At 3, we use a mix of regular cups, cups with covers/straws and true straw sippy cups (i.e. ones that can't spill). As long as your child has the ability, I wouldn't worry about the frequency. That's very much related to your tolerance for mess!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My first child was about 4 before mastering a regular cup and gave up the sippies. My 2nd child has never wanted anything to do with sippies and started drinking from a cup at about 8 months old and could use one by herself at 1 year. She wanted to hold the cup and do it by herself so badly. lol I bought some little plastic reusable cups that were the size of the little dixie cups and put a small amount of water at a time in it to avoid big messes from spills. It didn't take her too long to figure out how to not spill. She's 2 now and drinks from a regular size cup, of course there are still occasional spills when she's not paying attention, but it is so nice to not have to bring a sippie wherever we go or to have to find the lid, and make sure there's always a clean sippie available, etc.
    Anonymous

• I have an almost 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. They both still use a sippy cup most of the time. This is simply to avoid messes. When we are sitting at the table or in a controlled environment, they use regular cups. For us, it is simply about not making a mess, not an ability issue.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with mupt02. My 3 year old is on a sippy except when sitting at the table. It's just about not making a mess rather than motor skills.
    Anonymous

• My DS was 18 months when I quit trying to give him a sippy! He never did well with one and it was way easier for me to teach him to not spill his cup if he wanted more...
    Now that being said my 2 older DD's were sippy junkies until they were 4 years old! lol
    Every kid is different, just go with what feels right for your kid.
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 3:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Both kids had regular cups at the dinner table by 2. BUT, if they wanted water or something outside of the kitchen, its sippys. Now that my ds is 5, I've just decided no more drinks out of the kitchen, b/c truly he's too big for a sippy cup, but too careless to be trusted in the living room with an open cup.
    Anonymous

• I think my son could at 2 or 3, but, I didn't bother pushing it or taking the sippy until 4. Once he was 4, no more sippy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010