okay here's why this late potty training thing is getting out of hand

I witnessed the most deplorable thing at the library today. They have this great play room that's entirely enclosed so kids don't escape, but the bad part of that is that the air gets a little stagnant. You can tell immediately when you walk in and there's a poopy toddler diaper needing to be changed. Today it was particularly awful. It turned out that the culprit was a little boy who must have been four years old, if I didn't know any better I would say almost five. His mom yelled, across the room, "Adrian, 10 minute warning, then we gotta get home and change your stinky butt." And he yelled back, "NO!" Needless to say, I scooped up my two kids, both much younger and both potty trained, and we high-tailed it out of there. But she knew he had a dirty diaper, and so did he, and they were both perfectly fine with him treating the rest of us to it for 10 more minutes. Why are kids allowed to get this old in diapers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• beats me but maybe he wasn't as old as he looked...my 3 y/o looks like a 6 y/o so you never know.....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Wow. That is bad. To each their own and all that but letting him sit in poop for another 10 minutes on top of however long he'd already been in it is not right. Not to mention everyone else having the pleasure of smelling it.
    Anonymous

• In that situation, my problem wouldn't be with the kid still being in diapers, but with the poopy diaper remaining on his butt for so long. My kids are 1 and 2, and I change them as soon as I get even a small whiff of something, which I think should be the case for anyone with kids in diapers, regardless of age. So I'm with you in that I would be annoyed at her letting her son's poop stink up the room, but it's not my place to say by what point someone else should have their kid potty trained.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I have to agree with you, OP. It's true we don't know the exact age of the child but he's walking and talking and apparently understanding well what is said to him. My son was not talking that well at 2 years and was completely trained by 3 years. Although I wouldn't say anything to the mother, I fail to see any reason why a 4 year old is still in diapers.
    Anonymous

• I agree with pp. I don't care what age they are...a poopy diaper needs immediate attention, ESPECIALLY when they are around other people. Thats just lazy on the moms part.A 10 minute warning? Is she serious? I would have left too if I were you. Smelling my own kids dirty diaper is bad enough, let alone smelling someone elses,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• That is disgusting. And after 10 minutes she is going to strap him into his car seat. Then drive home. I don't think so! Change him in the middle of the room, change him on the back seat of the car, but don't you pull that one. Didn't you say something to the staff? I can see it now. A big sign that says Poopy diapers must be changed immediately or you will be asked not to return.
    Anonymous

• that is bad, but probably has nothing to do with the child's age and potty training.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• get him home and change it? how sad...I would have left after saying "come on kids it stinks in here and I dont want you around someone that says b-u-t-t"
    Anonymous

• Anon, the word butt offends you? Wow..I feel sorry for your kids when it comes time for the sex talk.

The kid might not have been that old. Or he could have had a problem with using the bathroom-as in a medical problem. I wouldn't let my kid just sit around in it but you dont' know what that kid was going through.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I will admit it, I think kids should be potty trained by three at the latest, unless their is a medical condition. And I also think that it is awful that they wouldn't change it immediately. A lot of people do not change that often though, I have seen many posts that say my 9 month old only goes through 3 or 4 diapers a day, so this not shocking to me. His lack of potty training probably stems from the idea that "it is ok to sit in feces and urine" for so long. Potty training isn't really rocket science, it is just a matter of consistency and patience.
    Anonymous