When do you start giving your baby water and infant juice?

right now my boy will be 6months 4/19. he eats 2tbsp rice cereal and 1/2 a container of fruit (gerber 1st foods) in the morning, 1 container or less of a vegetable (gerber 1st foods) he is mostly breastfed. my mom keeps him while i'm at work so he gets 4-8 oz of formula 5 days a week. and when should i start a different kind of cereal besides the rice cereal?

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juice is just sugar...never needed. You CAN give it now and you CAN change the cereal right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My ped said that juice is not needed and agree with previous poster about the sugars. Nathan has been eating table foods since about 6 months, he's 9 months old now and just barely started on the juice maybe 5 oz a day with one meal.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I didn't give juice until my son was a year old, and even now at 16 months it's an occasional treat and not an everyday thing. I started giving him water in a sippy at 6 months - he didn't get much out at first but it was good practice. You can give him a different type of cereal now - my kids always preferred oatmeal to rice.

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My dd is 1 and has only had sips of juice a handful of times. Water at 1 year she doesn't get it much though she is still Bf'ing so there really is no need for water
    Anonymous

• okay what about just plain water? when am i supposed to start giving him water and how much?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• He doesnt need any water outside of the formula and breastmilk unbtil after his 1st birthday.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• There's no "supposed to" here....he doesn't NEED anything but formula or breastmilk till the first birthday. You CAN give...don't HAVE to.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My DD is 8 months old and has been drinking water for a couple of months now. My son was the same with water.
    As for juice, my son was almost 2 before he had apple juice for the first time. He usually drinks water.
    My son is 3 now and just recently he stopped eating rice cereal. Lol. It wasn't without me trying though, he just liked it so much that he refused to eat any other kind of cereal.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son was about 5 months old when my husband and I started giving him juice. He also started drinking water when he was only a couple months old. but he didnt get to much at once. If you want to test him on it you can. It won't hurt him if you do or don't. But if you do start testing him with juice and water you may want to start out with a couple ounces at a time.

As far as cereal my son loves his oatmeal more than rice. mush up some bananas and mix it in and he may like that. but my sons dr. had him on rice when he was 3weeks old i put him on oatmeal a couple months after that. the main one you want to be carful with is wheat i dont know why but thats the only thing his dr said to wait untill he was about 10months or so before trying
    aledge

Answer by aledge at 5:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with the folks above: babies only need milk/formula until they are 1 year old. Our pediatrician said we can start to give him water or juice around 6 months, but it is not necessary and should not replace milk. Since my little guy doesn't drink that much anyway (he's healthy, but kinda small) I figure it's better for all his liquids to be packed full of good stuff, so he hasn't had any juice or water yet.

Regarding cereals, try oatmeal, barley and whole grain rice. I also heard to wait a bit on wheat (the acceptable ages seem to vary) and corn. Talk to your doctor about the recommended timing. And if in any doubt, just wait - at this age eating food is a good experience and practice for later, but it's not really needed for nutrition.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010