Would you leave a 9 month old alone overnight with a babysitter?

Our wedding anniversary is coming up and DH and I really could use some honest-to-goodness time away from our little guy (if the baby is around me, I turn into "mom" not really "wife" and we both miss our old relationship). We were talking about the possibility of going away for the weekend, and leaving the baby at home with a sitter. Some friends have left their children with a nanny overnight (the nanny stays in the house with the kids) and they seem comfortable with it. I do trust the woman who regularly babysits for us, and I have 2 good friends who are "on call" if/when the sitter can't reach me (this has never been necessary, but it's nice to have as a backup). But I just get all itchy when I think about being away from the baby for more than a few hours. And we don't have any family around to help...

What do you all think? Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as she is a trusted sitter,I say go for it. You can call as often as you need to to feel comfortable with it.
    I do understand how you feel though, I find it hard to be away from mine for a few hours. But, it doesnt make you a bad mom or shirking your responsibility as a mom. If I had someone that would watch my youngest over night I would be sooo happy,lol. But I bet I would call a 100 times.lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I rarely leave my son with anyone besides my mother in law- I definately wouldnt leave my son & anyone that wasnt close family- but before I was a mom I was a full time nanny & only you can know how you feel about the person who youd be leaving your son with...

If your ok with- Im sure everything will be fine.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If you trust the sitter, go for it!
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 3:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No I breastfeed
    Anonymous

• First of all, you are not leaving your child ALONE. Obviously, he would be with someone. There are alot of capable people you can leave your child with, i.e., parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles. You can also find friends or neighbors. It's not a big deal unless you do it all the time. I think this is a BIG misconception about children, and especially on this site. It does no harm to your child to leave them with a sitter from time to time. If you prefer not to, and or you breastfeed, that is your choice. It's not the majority of the world's choice. So, don't bother wasting your time asking women on this site what YOU should do. It's your life, go live it and enjoy it to your liking!
    Anonymous

• I breastfeed, so no, I wouldn't. But I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I work FT so I have an inhome daycare provider, I wouldn't leave the baby with a sitter, just because to me a sitter is just someone you use from time to time and its not really familiar with the baby and his/her needs but i would leave my son with the daycare provider for the weekend. I say if this is someone you trust go for it, I have a 9 month old as well and the opportunity is rare plus it's your anniversary!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If you really trust this person, then its fine. My DD has never spent the night with anyone but family, but it just isn't neccesary for us because we have people close. I work FT and my DCP is my cousin who runs a center from her home. Its not going to scar her for life if you leave her with a trusted person. However, if you are going to be so worried you can't focus, then there really is no point.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• sure, as long as the sitter knows my kids very very well and is very trusted. i would never leave them with someone that hasn't watched them often.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Nope. My x and I had plenty of "we" time and still went to pick the kids up before midnight. Unless it's a grandmother who wants to keep the child over night, my answer is no. A sitter isn't going to hear your baby cry in the middle of the night or comfort her if she does. Most sitters just let the child cry it out. I sure wouldn't do it myself. Just leave for your date earlier.
    Anonymous