My daughter snuck out the door this morning.

My husband and I were still sleeping, and so were my other children and my almost 3 year old daughter unlocked the door and went running down the street.
I didn't know she knew how to unlock the door.....OH MY GOSH....I dont' know what I would have done had she not been there when I woke up. I feel like a horrible mother. :( Luckily a good samaritan helped her home.....
Has anyone elses child ever done this? I need lock advice....and what kind of locks worked for you, to keep your little ones safe :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• the chain lock as well as the other lock before we go to bed
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh my goodness that would terrify me!! My 3 year old has been unlocking and opening doors since about a year and a half. At first the plastic door knob covers worked but now she actually pops those right off so we ended up getting a chain lock for the top of the door. Now when she starts pulling a chair up to it and getting that one open we will DEFINITELY have a problem lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Put chain locks on the inside of your doors..up HIGH.
    That happened here a week or so ago, it was on the news. This poor mother, I felt so bad for her. A retired police officer found her 2 year old daughter walking down the middle of a street. If you can believe this...people were really just driving around her and not even stopping. I mean ..a 2 year old..alone..walking in the street..and no one stops? Crazy.
    Anyway, the retired cop took her to the station where she had a diaper change and some food. They drove around the neighborhood where she was found until they found an open front door, and luckily...they found her house. Her mother was sobbing. It was 7 a.m. she was still sleeping when they came knocking on her door,she had no idea the girl was even out of her house. I can't even imagine the sinking feeling...
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• OP- we already have the plastic door covers, and a chain lock on our back door...she knows how to get through them....
    I am terrified.....we have a lot of sex offenders in our town (unfortunately) and I just keep thinking...what if something would have happened....it makes me sick to my stomach :(
    I feel like I need a flippin' padlock!
    Anonymous

• Put the locks at the top of the door where she can't reach.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• They have alarms you can buy at pretty much any store.You just put it on the door and once it opens it goes off...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Toolbox/Ultra-Door-Alarm/ID=prod397231&navCount=1&navAction=push-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku397232
    ryanlynn

• ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• that is a scary thing. The doors we have isn't hard to open or unlock one day I was upstairs putting laundry away and noticed my DD (oldest)but at the time she was just 2 years old and I noticed we was being really quiet so I went to check on her couldn't find her anywhere. Looked out the back door, then the front door then her bedroom couldn't find her then went back outside and a lady and her DH came to my house asking if this was my little girl I was like oh my god yes thank you so much. She was out with our dog luckly the dog didn't leave her sight and wouldn't let anyone touch her lol. She was only around the corner so luckly she new the way to where she lived. So now I have a chain lock on the top of the door and it stays locked all day long she is almost 5 now. That was the most scarything I think is not knowing where your child is. I have another DD 2.6 she hasn't done this thank god. Everynight as well it gets
    mommy5409

• Try a Deadbolt lock that can only be opened with a key...and YOU keep the key.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2010